|Pav Bhaji - Sanjeev Kapoor's Recipe (step by step)|
I adapted this Pav Bhaji Recipe from one of sanjeev kapoor's Cook book 'Ode to Indian Food'. Prepared it several times. Came out well every time since the recipe is simple to follow. This is the best Pav Bhaji recipe that I ever tasted. I have made simple variations like i skipped using the tomato puree and i do not mash my vegetables. I reduced potatoes and increased cauliflower. I have mentioned where ever changes have been made.
There are many pav bhaji masala powders available in the market which can be used instantly. Each one differs in the flavor and taste ,but the basic ingredients almost remain the same, and only the quantity of ingredients change. So you can chose the one you like. Iam a fan of homemade masala powders so I make my own at home. If you are interested can get the recipe for Homemade Pav bhaji Masala Powder from the ingredients list below
1 ½ cups chopped cauliflower
2 boiled potatoes mashed
¾ cup capsicum chopped small
¼ cup green peas
1 green chili
½ tsp red chili pow
¼ tsp turmeric
1 ½ tbsp.pav bhaji masala powder
1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
3 medium tomatoes chopped small
4 tbsp tomato sauce ( I did not use)
Lemon juice (optional)
Chopped onions for garnish (optional)
Coriander leaves for garnish
1 tbsp butter/ oil for bhaji
Additional butter for pav
1. Heat butter/oil in a pan, add onions and fry till they turn translucent, add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a min
2. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric and salt, fry till tomatoes turn mushy
3. Add cauliflower, potatoes and green peas, mix well
4. Add chili pow,salt and pav bhaji masala. mix well
5. Pour 1 cup of water (adjust).
6. Add capsicum, coriander leaves mix well and mash the bhaji, if you desire a smooth bhaji.
7. Cook till it comes to the thick gravy consistency.
8. slit the pav horizontally leaving one edge intact
9. heat butter on a tava. Open the pav and toast it for a while. Can sprinkle masala on the innerside of the pav to make it more spicy.
Garnish with lemon juice, onions and coriander.