|coconut milk rice|
coconut milk rice from coastal Andhra region - I got this authentic coconut milk rice recipe from my mum who belongs to the coastal regions of andhra where coconut is grown in abundance. There are so many versions of coconut rice in south India, that one can find them different from state to state. Some prepare rice with grated coconut, while this recipe needs coconut milk. This rice is fragrant with subtle aroma of coconut since fried coconut is also used. The addition of veggies is optional since we are so much used to them in any one pot meal i use. This way i ensure that we do not miss our daily quota of vegetables. This makes one of the best lunch box recipes for kids and working adults too.
1 cup rice (washed and soaked as required)
1 cup chopped coconut pieces (can use store bought coconut milk too)
1 ¾ cups Water (adjust as needed)
2 green chili
Fistful of chopped carrots
Fistful of peas
Few tbsps. grated coconut
2 tbsps ghee
1 bay leaf
2 inch cinnamon stick
Few pepper corn
½ tsp cumin / jeera
1. Grind chopped coconut pieces with 1 cup water. Filter and extract the milk.alternately can use store bought milk.
2. Heat ghee in a pan, sauté all the spices for a min, add veggies if using, fry for a min
4. When it comes to a boil, add the rice and cook till the rice is done
5. Heat another pan, fry the grated coconut till it turns slightly brown. Add cashews and fry
6. Once the rice is done, garnish with fried cashews and coconut
This rice needs no side dish, it tastes great on its own. However if you are interested, you can have it with a gravy side dish or papads or raita.