|kashmiri pulao | veg recipe|
How to make Restaurant Style Kashmiri Pulao ~ Veg Recipe
This is one of the popular rice dishes that is ordered in Indian restaurants. It is prepared by cooking rice in milk & spices , garnished with fresh fruits & ghee fried nuts to get a nutty taste. What I love about this dish? Liberal amount of nuts and fresh fruits with spiced rice. Isn’t that healthy? Of course high calorie dish, but I do not mind. It is easy to prepare this one pot meal and tastes delicious. I do not remember the recipe source as iam cooking this for many yrs, I just cook on approximations and it turns out great everytime.
Time taken 30 mins (including preparation)
1 cup aged basmathi rice
1 cup whole milk (can substitute with low fat milk + few tbsps. cream)
Few strands of saffron
Pinch of turmeric
Salt to taste
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 green chili
Salt to taste
3 to 4 tbsps ghee
1/3 cup of mixed nuts (I use almonds, cashews, raisins)
¼ cup of fresh fruits chopped (pineapple, apple, grapes)
Fistful of green peas (can use baby potatoes and carrot) (optional)
1 tbsp. Fried onions (optional)
Few drops of rose water
3 inch cinnamon stick
6 to 8 green cardamom
1 big bay leaf
2 strands of mace
1 medium sized nutmeg
½ tsp shahi jeera
1. Soak rice for atleast 30 mins, drain water and set aside
2. Heat a pan and add the spices, sauté for a min, add ginger garlic paste, sauté
4. Add 3/4 cup water to the 1 cup milk and heat up, add saffron and pour it in the rice pan.
5. Add green chilie,rose water and salt, close the lid and cook till the rice is done fully. If needed sprinkle some water.
6. Add the chopped fruits and close the lid and leave it for 5 to 8 mins.
7. Garnish with ghee fried nuts and fried onions.
Serve hot. Does not need any side dish.