|Broccoili gravy for chapathi, roti, paratha|
Note: i use potatoes without boiling and they get cooked well in the pan itself at step 4. But some kinds of potatoes do not get cooked up easily, in that case use boiled potatoes.
2 tbsps. Oil
1 bay leaf
¼ tsp cumin
¾ cup chopped onions
2 medium potatoes cubed (1*1 inch size)
2 cups of broccoli florets (cleaned and washed in salted water)
Pinch of turmeric
Salt as needed
1 tbsp. channa dal / senaga pappu
1 tbsp. urad dal/ senaga pappu
½ tsp cumin to powder
1 tsp red chili powder
½ to 1 tsp. garam masala
1 cup water
How to make broccoli gravy for chapathi, roti, paratha
1. Heat a pan and dry roast the dals. Towards the end add cumin to warm it up. Set this aside to cool and grind to fine powder first and then mix it with ¾ cup of water. Mix well to remove any lumps and set aside.
2. Heat a heavy bottom pan with oil, add cumin and bay leaf and sauté to get an aroma
3. Add onions and fry till golden brown.Add potatoes and fry for 2 mins.
4. Cover and cook on a low flame till the potatoes are almost cooked. During this step, the onions get caramelized and potatoes get browned and they begin to release a nice aroma
5. Add broccoli, sprinkle salt and turmeric. Fry for 2 to 3 mins on medium high.
6. Cover and cook till the broccoli is half done
7. Add red chili powder, garam masala , mix well and fry for a min or 2
8. Pour the mix prepared in step 1. Mix well. Cover and cook till the gravy thicken. It takes only 2 to 3 mins.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves