Eggs are a wonderful source of protein and can be used to dish up a quick side for a meal. Today I will share how to make egg curry with tomato gravy. This curry can be prepared without any garam masala powder and ginger garlic paste , but i have used a light garam masala powder and that is optional. Boiled eggs are just simmered in onion tomato gravy and then thick coconut milk is added at the end. The taste and aroma of this egg gravy is very different from the other egg curries i have shared earlier.
4 boiled eggs (pierce them with fork randomly)
1 cup chopped onions
1 green chili chopped or slit
½ to ¾ cup ripe tomatoes chopped finely
1 tsp red chili powder
Generous pinch of turmeric
Salt to taste
45 ml to 60 ml Thick coconut milk (3 to 4 tbsps)
1 sprig curry leaves, pinch of mustard, ¼ tsp cumin
Oil as needed
very little garam masala or coriander powder (optional)
1. Heat a pan with oil, add curry leaves, cumin, mustard.
2. When they begin to splutter, add onions and fry till they turn pink. They must not become golden.
3. Add tomatoes, turmeric, salt and fry till they turn mushy
4. Add eggs, red chili powder and garam masala.
5. On a low flame, fry till the mix becomes fragrant
6. Add very little water , just enough to cover the eggs partially
7. Cover and cook till the tomatoes blend well. The curry must be thick and not runny
8. Add coconut milk, off the heat. Do not cook further, thick coconut milk could curdle. Mix well and serve
Garnish with coriander leaves