Chicken pulao recipe – Flavored chicken rice cooked with mild Indian spices. A chicken pulao is mildly spiced and is not heavy like the Chicken biryani. Chicken pulao is best served with a good onion raita or a simple salan. There are so many ways a Indian pulao is made. Some pulao recipes use coconut milk and some recipes use a good amount of fragrant spices like i used to make this flavorful veg pulao.
We get to see chicken pulao recipes made with tomato, yogurt, stock and few recipes using coconut milk. I make both the varieties since it is kids friendly and is not loaded with spices.
Easy chicken pulao recipe
Chicken pulao recipe | Chicken rice recipe
Simple one pot chicken pulao made in Indian style. This chicken rice is best served with a Indian raita or plain yogurt.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
dry spices (skip if you don't have any)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Star anise
- ½ tsp shahi jeera or cumin (jeera)
- 8 cloves or laung
- 2 inch cinnamon or dalchini
- 1 black cardamom or badi elaichi (optional)
- 4 green cardamoms or choti elaichi
- ¾ tsp saunf powder (fennel powder) optional
- 1 strand mace
other ingredients for chicken rice
- 1 ½ to 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion (large, thinly sliced)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste or crushed
- 1 tomato (medium, chopped )
- Salt as needed
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric or haldi
- Handful mint or pudina (chopped)
- Handful coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1 ½ cups rice (prefer basmathi)
- 2 ½ to 2 ¾ cups water or stock or thin coconut milk (refer notes)
How to make the recipe
Preparation to make chicken pulao
- Wash rice and soak for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Marinate chicken with ingredients mentioned under to marinate. Set this aside till we use it. If using coconut milk do not use yogurt to marinate.
How to make chicken rice recipe
- Heat a pot or cooker with oil, add spices along with saunf and saute till it begins to smell nice.
- Add onions, green chili and fry till lightly golden. Fry ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell disappears.
Transfer marinated chicken and fry until it turns pale and white. This takes around 3 to 4 minutes. Take care not to burn.
- Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Fry until the tomatoes turn mushy, pulp and looks completely cooked. Add mint and coriander leaves and fry until it smells good for a minute or two.
- Make sure tomatoes are cooked, blended well with the mixture, then pour stock or water or thin coconut milk. If your coconut milk is creamy or thick, dilute it with water and measure.
- When it comes to a boil, add salt and rice.
Cook until the rice is done completely. Towards the end. Simmer the flame and cover the pot. Cook on a low flame for 3 to 5 minutes. Fluff up after 5 minutes
- If cooking in a pressure cooker - do not allow the cooker to whistle if using basmati rice. If using normal rice then let the cooker whistle once.
Serve chicken pulao with raita or plain yogurt.
For the chicken pulao recipe, if using thin coconut milk, do not use yogurt for marination.
How to make chicken pulao recipe
1. Wash and soak rice for about 20 minutes, if using normal rice soak for 30 minutes. Drain off the water and set aside.
2. Marinate chicken with turmeric, chili powder, salt, ginger garlic paste, 1 tsp oil and then yogurt. You can also add a tsp of good garam masala powder. This is optional. Yogurt makes the chicken tender. If using coconut milk for the recipe, skip using yogurt for marination.
3. Set this aside till we need.
4. Pour oil to a pressure cooker or pot. When it turns hot, add dry spices including fennel powder. Saute till the spices begin to sizzle.
5. Add onions and fry until lightly golden. You can lightly brown them as well.
4. Next add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
5. Saute chicken on a medium flame.
6. Chicken should turn white in color and partially soft cooked for about 3 to 4 minutes. Otherwise chicken may turn hard after adding tomatoes.
7. Next add chopped tomatoes. Sprinkle salt and turmeric. Fry till the tomatoes turn mushy, soft and completely cooked.
8. Add chopped coriander and mint leaves. Stir and fry until the mixture begins to smell good.
9. Continue to cook till the moisture from tomatoes evaporate.
Water, stock or coconut milk to make chicken pulao
10. Add stock or water or thin coconut milk. Also add salt. We have already added salt to marinate, take care not to add too much.
11. When it comes to a boil, add drained rice.
12. Stir and cook till the water almost evaporates. When there is very little water left. Cover and cook on a very low flame till the rice is done.
13. If cooking in a pressure cooker, cover the lid and cook just for 3 to 4 minutes. I do not let the cooker whistle. If using normal rice, you can allow the cooker to whistle once.
14. When the pressure goes off. Remove the lid and leave it for about 5 minutes. Fluff up gently.
Serve pulao with onion raita.