Masala pasta recipe – Indian style flavorful & delicious masala pasta that will be your new favorite! This simple & quick pasta is super easy to make & just needs 25 mins. It is kids’ friendly & can be packed even in lunch box or served as an after school snack. It also makes for a quick dinner for your entire family.
This pasta recipe is made in Indian style using spices & herbs used in Indian cooking. But it is made in onion tomato base just like any other pasta. I have shared the basic masala pasta recipe here along with some tips.
You can tweak the recipe easily to suit your taste buds. This recipe is vegan and however you can also make it with butter for added flavor.
Tips to make masala pasta
- I have used penne but you can also use spaghetti or macaroni here.
- Carrots, peas & bell peppers are the veggies I often use. Veggies like sweet corn, baby corn, mushrooms & broccoli also go well.
- I have used organic pasta made with durum wheat. Brown rice pasta, quinoa pasta or any multigrain pasta also goes well for this recipe.
- If making for toddlers, use macaroni or baby pasta as it is easy to handle.
- To make the pasta creamy you can also add in a few tbsps of cream or coconut cream towards the end.
- Eggs: To use eggs, just move the veggies aside once done. Beat eggs and pour to the pan. Scramble and cook just until done. Then add the pasta. You can also check this egg pasta.
- Chicken: Boil the chicken first and shred. Add it to the pan and saute for 2 to 3 mins with the veggies. I have a different chicken pasta here.
Masala pasta recipe | How to make pasta | Indian style pasta
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups pasta
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or butter (divided) (adjust to taste)
- ½ teaspoon cumin (or jeera)
- 3 cloves garlic chopped finely
- 1/3 teaspoon Salt as needed ½ tsp for boiling pasta
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala or pav bhaji masala or any other masala powder
- ½ teaspoon kasuri methi or coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoon Cream as needed (optional)
- 1 large onion chopped finely
- ¾ to 1 cup tomatoes chopped mashed or pureed (do not use very sour tomatoes)
- 2 carrots chopped or as needed
- ¼ to ½ cup green peas
- ¼ cup capsicum or bell pepper – chopped
How to make the recipe
Preparation for masala pasta
- In a large pot, bring 6 cups of water to a boil.
- When the water begins to boil rapidly, add half teaspoon salt and pasta.
- Cook till al dente on a medium to high flame.
- I suggest referring the instructions on the pack of pasta.
- While the pasta cooks, rinse and chop the veggies.
- Drain off the pasta to a colander when done and rinse in cold water.
- Set aside. Reserve 3 to 4 tablespoons of pasta cooked water.
How to make masala pasta
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. When the oil turns hot, add cumin.
- When they begin to splutter, then add finely chopped garlic.
- Fry till it begins to smell good for a minute or two.
- Add onions and fry until they turn pink.
- Then add chopped veggies and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Next mash the tomatoes well and add it to the pan along with salt.
- Cook until the tomatoes turn soft and blend well with veggies. The raw smell of tomatoes should disappear.
- Add kasuri methi, red chili powder and masala powder.
- Stir well and fry for a minute. Switch off the stove. If using cream add now and stir.
- Add cooked pasta and 1 tablespoon oil. Toss well. Adjust salt as needed.
- Add coriander leaves. If the pasta looks dry, then pour 1 to 2 tablespoons pasta cooked water.
- Serve masala pasta hot.
1.Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large pot. When the water begins to boil, add salt and pasta.
2.Cook the pasta al dente on a medium flame. It should be soft yet cooked but not chewy. Refer the package for exact cook time as each brand has a different cook time.
Once done drain the pasta to a colander. You can also save 3 to 4 tbsps pasta cooked water. You can use this towards the end to bring the pasta to consistency.
Making masala for pasta
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin. When it begins to sizzle, add garlic. Fry the garlic for a minute or 2.
4. Add onions and fry until they turn golden.
5. Add the chopped vegetable and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add mashed tomatoes along with salt. Fry until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy. You can also puree the tomatoes and use. Most times I do puree them as my boys are super fussy with the skin of tomatoes.
7. When raw smell of tomatoes disappear, add kasuri methi, masala powder and red chili powder.
8. Fry for one to 2 minutes till the raw flavor of chilli powder goes away. If using cream add it now.
How to make masala pasta
9. Add cooked pasta.
10. Toss well and add coriander leaves. If it is too dry you can add little oil or pasta cooked water. Mix well and check salt. Add more if needed.
Indian style pasta aka masala pasta is ready to serve.