Kadai paneer recipe restaurant style with video & step by step pictures. It is also called as karahi paneer, one of the most popular restaurant served paneer dishes apart from paneer tikka masala, paneer butter masala, paneer amritsari, matar paneer, palak paneer and shahi paneer. To make kadai paneer, Indian cottage cheese is seasoned, lightly spiced and cooked with tomatoes and capsicums. It gets its name karahi or kadai since it is cooked in a kadai, a deep wok used in Indian cuisine.
You can also find the recipe of restaurant style kadai paneer gravy here.
This kadai paneer recipe is roughly being adapted from Nita Mehta’s and Sanjeev Kapoor’s cookbooks and yields panir that melts in the mouth and tastes wonderful with mild flavors of spices and capsicum. It goes fantastic with tawa pulao or roti .
The video and step by step pictures were shot at different times. There is no onion used in the step by step photos, but in the video I have used.
Restaurant style kadai paneer recipe below
Kadai paneer recipe | How to make kadai paneer
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 200 grams paneer or 1 ½ cup
- ½ cup onions finely chopped (optional)
- 1 to 1¼ cup tomatoes finely chopped deseeded
- ½ to ¾ cup capsicums , cubed , (green or red or both)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste or only ginger paste
- 1 Pinch turmeric (optional)
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds / Daniya
- 3 to 4 red chilies
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ to 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp kasoori methi
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Oil or as needed
- Coriander leaves chopped
How to make the recipe
- Blend together coriander seeds, red chillies and garam masala to a slightly coarse powder.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan, fry ginger garlic paste until the raw smell has gone. Add onions and saute until transparent.
- Fry tomatoes with salt and turmeric until mushy and soft. Add ground powder and red chilli powder.
- Saute until the raw smell vanishes from the tomatoes.
- Add capsicum. Saute for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add paneer along with kasuri methi.
- Stir and cook just for 1 minute.
- Add chopped coriander leaves. Serve kadai paneer with rice or roti.
Preparation for kadai paneer recipe
1. Dry roast coriander seeds and red chilies separately till they turn crisp. Alternately you can skip roasting if you have sun dried or refrigerated coriander seeds and red chilies. This step is optional.
2. Cool them and add to the blender. Add garam masala to the same jar.
3. Pulse them in a blender. Coarse or smooth powder is your choice. I like to go with slightly coarse powder. If made very coarse they come in the mouth while eating which some may not like.
How to make kadai paneer recipe
4. Heat a kadai or pan with oil, add ginger garlic or only ginger paste and green chilies. Fry till it turns fragrant.
5. Add onions and fry until transparent. Using onions is optional. I have not used here but used in the video. Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric, salt and fry till the tomatoes turn mushy.
6. Add the ground red chili and coriander powder. You can also add little red chilli powder. Mix and saute for a while until the masala smells good.
7. Saute until the raw smell of tomatoes goes off.
8. Add cubed capsicums.
9. Saute for 2 to 3 mins until the capsicum are slightly cooked.
11. Add kasuri methi and paneer. Mix and saute for just 1 minute. Overcooking can make it rubbery.
12. Add chopped coriander leaves.
10. Transfer to a serving bowl immediately. Do not leave it on the hot tawa/pan to cook further since it can become rubbery. Garnish and serve.