Fish tikka masala recipe has been roughly adapted from the chicken tikka recipe that I shared earlier. Fish tikka is often made at home, since it is so easy to make and is one of the most healthiest ways to consume fish. To make fish tikka masala, first tikka is made and then they are dunked into the masala gravy. This recipe can be followed using any variety of large fish like salmon.
Fish tikka can be made on tawa or in the oven. But the oven made tikka have a smoky flavor that adds flavor to the gravy as well.
recipe of fish tikka masala below
Fish tikka masala recipe | Indian grilled fish recipes
Fish tikka masala is a piece of meat either grilled or fried and masala is a gravy.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 4 pepper corn
- 3 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom (optional)
- cinnamon , Very small piece
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf , small
- ¾ cup onions , chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ cup tomatoes , chopped
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp dried fenugreek leaves / kasuri methi
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 300 grams fish cubes
- ¼ cup milk cream or cashew milk
- Oil as needed
How to make the recipe
- Refer this post to make fish tikka.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, add the spices and sauté for a min
- Add the onions and very little salt, fry till they turn translucent. There must be enough oil for the onions to fry well.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for a min
- Add tomatoes, little more salt & turmeric, fry till the tomatoes turn fully mushy and dry
- Add red chili powder and mix well. Separate the black cardamom and bay leaf and set aside
- Pour in some ice cold water in a mixie jar, add this cooked mix and grind to a smooth paste. Ensure that the mix is not hot before you run the mixer else it can wreck your mixie. Alternately, you can cool the mix naturally and then grind
- Filter the grinded mix in the same pan; add the bay leaf and black cardamom. Add little water to bring it to the right consistency. Add kasuri methi and biryani masala powder. Bring this to a boil. Take care not to add too much water
- When the mix begins to bubble up, add the fish and the veggies from the skewer and let it cook for 3 to 4 mins on a medium flame. Overcooking can break the fish pieces as they are already cooked in the oven.
- Add in the cooking cream and stir.
- Let the fish rest in the gravy for at least 30 mins before you serve. Tastes good with roti, chapathi , naan or kulcha.
step by step photos on making fish tikka masala below