Rava laddu recipe – Rava ladoo or suji ladoo is a super quick Sweet recipe that is aromatic & tastes delicious with a slight crunch that comes from roasted semolina. Rava laddu is made with only a few ingredients like semolina, coconut, sugar, nuts and ghee/milk.
It is a beginners recipe and needs no expertise. Rava laddu can also be made without coconut, but the addition of dried coconut (copra) adds a very good aroma to the rava ladoo. Fresh coconut or desiccated coconut can also be used.
To make rava laddu recipe, I used ghee for binding. You can also use milk. But the taste differs entirely. If using milk for binding, I suggest making it fresh and use it with in few hours or refrigerate and use within a day.
I am sharing the way my mom would make rava laddu at home. This recipe does not require sugar syrup so it is simple, quick and easy to make.
Tips to make perfect rava laddu
Frying rava: The key to making good rava laddu is to fry the rava well on a low to medium flame. It can be done with or without ghee until it begins to smell good and aromatic.
But it must not brown as the aroma completes changes. Keep stirring constantly until it is done to prevent browning or burning of the rava.
Texture of rava: Rava ladoo is not made with fine powder. The main taste comes from the slightly crunchy rava in the rava laddu. So always powder the roasted rava to a coarse powder and not fine.
But if you prefer smooth rava ladoo then you can also make a fine powder.
Ghee: Rava laddu has a lot to do with the quality of ghee used. Good quality ghee not only enhances the aroma and taste of the ladoos but also keeps them good for many days.
Which rava is used to make rava laddu?
1. Bombay rava or fine rava is used to make rava laddu. Do not use the coarse variety as it does not get roasted well.
2. If using chiroti rava, you can totally skip the blending part and just use it right away after roasting.
Rava ladoo recipe or suji ladoo recipe
Rava laddu | Rava ladoo
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for rava ladoo
- 1 ¼ cup fine rava or fine semolina or suji (refer notes)
- ¼ cup coconut fresh or desiccated (optional)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 to 3 green cardamoms or elaichi
- ¼ cup ghee + (2 tbsp Optional, use as needed)
- 10 raisins or as needed
- 10 cashews or as needed chopped
How to make the recipe
Preparation for rava laddu
- Add 1 to 2 tbsp ghee to a pan and heat it.
- Fry rava on a low to medium heat until it begins to smell nice and aromatic. Keep stirring while frying to prevent burning.
- When the rava turns light and crunchy transfer to a plate. Set aside to cool.
- In the same pan dry roast coconut as well until aromatic. Keep this too aside.
- Powder sugar along with cardamoms finely in a mixer.
- Wait for 1 to 2 mins then add roasted rava and coconut to the mixer jar.
- Blend together once more to make a slightly coarse powder. This keeps a slight crunch in the rava laddu.
- Making a fine powder will alter the texture. If you like fine powder you can make it.
- Transfer this rava laddu mixture to a mixing bowl.
How to rava ladoo
- Heat ghee in the same pan. Fry cashews in ghee until lightly golden.
- Add raisins and quickly stir. Remove the cashews and raisins to the rava mixture.
- Next pour the hot ghee as needed and mix with a spatula. You may need to use up the entire amount of ghee.
- Take small portions of the mix and press down tightly in your fist to shape a rava laddu. You will need to be quick in doing this before the mixture cools down.
- If the rava laddu mixture turns dry and does not bind, then heat up more ghee in the same pan and add hot ghee to the mixture.
- I used only ¼ plus 2 tbsp. If you are unable to bind the mixture then it means there is not enough ghee. Too much ghee will also disintegrate the ladoos.
- Store rava ladoo in air tight jar. Rava laddu keeps good for about a month at room temperature if coconut is not used.
If not using coconut, you can use 1 ½ cup rava alone.
you can also use 1 cup rava and ½ cup coconut. Please ensure you use fine rava otherwise the rava laddu will not bind.
Preparation for rava laddu
1. Heat 1 to 2 tbsp ghee in a pan to fry rava. You can also dry roast.
2. When it melts, add 1 ¼ cup semolina/ suji/ rava and begin to fry on a low to medium heat until aromatic.
3. Keep stirring constantly to avoid the rava burning. Do not brown or discolor the rava. When it is done, rava turns crunchy and light. Remove this to a plate.
4. In the same pan, roast ¼ cup coconut until it begins to smell good. You can use any fresh or desiccated coconut. You can also skip coconut if you wish to keep the ladoos for more than a week. Keep this aside as well with the rava.
5. Add ¾ cup sugar to a blender along with 2 to 3 green cardamoms.
6. Make a fine powder.
7. Add cooled rava and coconut to the same jar. You can also skip blending coconut, but blended coconut makes the rava laddu fragrant.
8. Blend it to suit your liking. I like to make it not too fine but slightly coarse to keep the crunch of rava. The crunch tastes good in rava laddu. A fine powder will alter the taste of rava laddu. If you prefer you can also make a fine powder. Transfer the mix to a bowl.
How to make rava laddu or rava ladoo
9. Heat the rest of the ¼ cup ghee in the same pan. Add split or chopped cashews and fry until light golden.
10. Then add raisins and fry until they turn plump.
11. Turn off the heat. Retain 2 tbsp. ghee in the pot and pour the rest to the rava. Make sure the ghee is hot when you add it to the mix, this helps to bind well with lesser ghee.
12. Mix everything well in the bowl. Press down with the spoon.
Rolling rava laddu
13. Stir and mix well. Take small portions of the mixture and press down the mixture in your fist to shape rava ladoo. After half the quantity is done, you may need to add more ghee. Then add up the rest of the ghee little by little. Make sure the ghee is hot.
Do not add the entire ghee at one time, use it only a little when needed. If the mixture does not bind well, it means the quantity of ghee is less. So heat up more ghee and pour. Too much of ghee will also prevent the mixture from binding.
Store rava ladoo in air tight jar and use with in 1 to 2 weeks. Handle with moist free hands for longer shelf life.