Garlic pickle recipe – velluli avakaya is perfect for the monsoon and winters to warm up the body. To retain the health benefits of garlic, they are used raw in this recipe. It also helps in preventing cold and expelling phlegm since cinnamon and cloves are used along with raw garlic. Serve moderately and experience the benefits of this garlic pickle.
I have used oil generously which increases the shelf life and the taste as well and this is the way our Andhra pickles are prepared. For most avakaya recipes I discard the left over oily part at the end. So adjust the oil to suit your taste and need.
garlic pickle recipe yields tastes mildly sweet, sour, hot and pungent pickle with bursting flavors of cinnamon and cloves. If you are a hot and spicy pickle lover, you will get addicted to this.
Whenever you make pickles, choose the best quality ingredients. Make sure there is no larva or fungi on the ingredients like garlic. Since the pickles are left to ferment, fungi and larvae multiplies very fast and most times may not be visible to us.
I used honey as the sweetener. But I recommend and prefer Jaggery since it adds a better aroma and taste than honey.
How to make garlic pickle at home
1. Dry roast cinnamon, methi seeds,cloves and sesame seeds lightly. Set aside 1 cinnamon stick and 4 cloves.
2. Add mustard seeds, methi seeds, sesame seeds, rest of the cinnamon and cloves to a blender jar and make a fine powder.
3. Add the powder to a large mixing bowl along with garlic, jaggery, salt, chilli powder, lemon juice, cloves and cinnamon.
4. Mix everything together. If desired you can add honey at this stage. Set aside for a day. Transfer it to a glass bottle.
Serve garlic pickle moderately with rice, idli, dosa or paratha.
Garlic pickle recipe below
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup garlic cloves
- ¼ tbsp methi seeds / menthulu
- 1 to 1½ tbsp mustard seeds
- ¾ tbsp white sesame seeds (optional, but adds volume and taste to the pickle.)
- 3 tbsp Red chili powder (adjust to suit your taste,2 tbsp is moderate)
- Salt to taste
- 1 Lemon large
- 1.5 tbsp jaggery or honey
- Oil as needed
optional ingredients for garlic pickle recipe
- 4 cloves (powdered finely)
- 4 cloves Additional (dry roast and keep aside)
- 1 ½ Inch cinnamon stick (powdered finely)
- 1 Inch cinnamon (dry roast and keep aside)
- Peel off the garlic skin and air dry them for 3 to 4 hrs. Do not handle them with moist hands or utensils or spoons. Discard any garlic cloves with fungi or scars or look discolored. This will spoil the pickle.
- Dry roast one after the other: methi seeds, sesame seeds and 2 cinnamon sticks and 10 cloves. Separate 1 cinnamon stick and 4 cloves aside.
- Add mustard seeds and roasted ingredients (except 1 cinnamon stick and 4 cloves) to a jar and powder finely.
- Transfer the garlic cloves to a wide utensil. Add ground powder, red chili powder, salt, lemon juice, 1 cinnamon stick and 4 cloves (that were set aside), jaggery and oil to the garlic. Mix well.
- I used honey so i added it later
- Set this aside for 1 day. After a day pour extra oil to bring it to the desired consistency and mix well. Adjust the salt and lemon juice. Bottle it and refrigerate.
- You can serve with steamed rice, dosa, idli, pesarratu or rava upma and semiya upma.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes