Mango pickle recipe with step by step photos – An easy pickle recipe with step by step photos using raw mangoes. Avakaya is one of the popular variety of pickle made in Andhra pradesh, a South Indian state which is popular for hot and spicy foods. The recipe of mango pickle shared here is not that of avakaya but a similar version which can be made with any kind of raw mangoes and can be consumed after a day of preparing.
This keeps good for a month if refrigerated and handled well, without refrigeration stays good for a week. You can find the traditional recipe of andhra avakaya here.
Today’s andhra mango pickle is more of a gravy like consistency rather than dry, since it is mostly relished with plain white rice.
To make a pickle with lesser gravy, use half the amount of oil, chilli, mustard and methi powder mentioned in the recipe below. With the quantities i have made, it wasn’t very oily, pungent or spicy as it looks to be.
I have used fresh byadgi chili powder from India which gives a bright color. Kashmiri chili powder too works good.
Aam chunda, Punjabi aam ka achar, Rajasthani aam ka achar, mavinakayi uppinakayi, Maagaya, Avakaya & Vadu mango pickle are some of the most well known mango pickle varieties made in India.
Though I have tried so many recipes, this recipe is special to me and is made almost every year a few times. This year when I made it I managed to take the video.
To make mango pickle, firstly make sure all the utensils, spoons, blender jar, chopping board, knife and the work area are absolutely dry.
Mango pickle recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 ¼ cup mango pieces cubed (heaped cup)
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds or 2 tbsp. mustard powder
- ½ tsp methi seeds or menthulu or fenugreek seeds
- 3 tbsp red chili powder (can reduce by ½ a tbsp.)
- 1 ½ tsp salt adjust as needed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp oil (sesame preferred, peanut is ok as well)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for mango pickle
- Choose raw, fresh and unripe mango that is firm and has a clear skin. Wash and dry mango thoroughly. Wipe clean with a cloth.
- If possible sun dry the jar and other utensils used for making pickle, Make sure all the bowls, spoons, chopping board and knife are dry. These precautions will increase the shelf life of the mango pickle
- Dry roast methi seeds on a low flame until deep golden and aromatic. Transfer to a plate and cool them completely.
- To the same pan, pour oil and heat it up until slightly warm. Set aside to cool completely. You can skip warming the oil if you intend to finish the mango pickle within 10 to 12 days.
- Skip heating if using cold pressed oil. Blend methi seeds along with mustard seeds to a fine powder.
- Chop mangoes to slightly large cubes using a large knife.
How to make mango pickle
- Add them to a dry bowl, along with red chili powder, mustard powder, salt and lightly crushed garlic.
- Pour the oil and mix well. Set aside for 24 to 28 hours. Stir mango pickle well and if needed add more salt. Store this mango pickle in a clean glass jar.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
1. Dry roast methi seeds till they begin to smell good. Transfer these to a plate. To the same hot pan, add oil and allow it to warm up. Set aside to cool completely. You can skip warming the oil if you intend to finish it with in 10 to 12 days. If using cold pressed oil, skip heating the oil.
2. Powder mustard and methi seeds in a blender to a fine or coarse powder to suit your liking. A fine powder needs less oil for the pickle.
3. Wash mango. I prefer to soak mango in salted water for 30 minutes, scrub it with additional salt and wash off. If you are using organic mango, you can just wash it well and use. Dry it thoroughly. Wipe off with an absorbent cloth or tissue. Chop them to slightly large cubes. Smaller pieces tend to turn very soft and mushy when stored for more than a week. Also i used up the left over pulp on the mango. I finely chopped it as well. They turn soft and add volume to the gravy.
How to make mango pickle recipe
4. To a large bowl, add mango cubes, chili powder, mustard methi powder, salt and lightly crushed garlic cloves.
5. Add oil from step one. Ensure it is cool before adding to the mixture.
6. Mix everything well. The mixture looks dark and dry.
7. Cover it and set aside in a dry place for 24 hours.
8. After 24 to 28 hours, mango releases moisture or juice. Mix well. Check for salt, if needed add little more and mix well. You will get to see this yummy hot spicy mango pickle ready.
Store it in a glass or ceramic jar. Do not use plastic jars for storing pickles, the taste of the pickle changes and it is unhealthy to use plastic containers for storing pickles.
Serve with rice, paratha, idli , dosa and curd rice.