Prawns fry recipe – a quick prawns stir fry made with simple and easily available ingredients. To make any seafood, we use very few spices or garam masala. This helps to retain the original flavor of the seafood otherwise it gets dominated by the masala.
This quick prawns fry can be made under 15 minutes excluding marination time. It goes good with plain rice or any flavored rice. You can even make a prawn ghee rice just with the addition of cooked rice and ghee.
I have used fresh black tiger prawns to make this stir fry. Any variety of prawns or shrimp can be used. You can use even the smaller variety of prawns.
How to make prawns fry or royyala vepudu
1. Devein and clean prawns. Rinse them thoroughly. To remove fishy smell, they can be rinsed in little vinegar. You can also use lemon juice and salt. If using frozen prawns, you will need to soak in hot water for a while. This will help to soften them. Drain off water completely. Add lemon juice and 1 tsp oil. Mix well.
2. Add ginger garlic paste,red chili powder, turmeric, garam masala and coriander powder as well. Mix and set aside for at least 30 minutes. You can refrigerate for over night in the fridge.
3. Pour oil or ghee to a hot pan. When it turns hot, add cumin and cardamom. Saute until they begin to sizzle.
4. Stir in the onions and slit chilies. Sprinkle salt.
5. As soon as the onions turn pink, add marinated prawns and fry.
6. When they begin to swirl up, add curry leaves as well. Continue to fry again.
7. The prawns will swirl up completely. It means they are cooked thoroughly. Then add red chili powder and stir for just a minute. 1 tbsp fresh grated coconut can also be added at this stage. Stir fry until the coconut begin to smell good.
Serve prawns fry with rice. You can also add some cooked basmathi rice, little more ghee, salt to the pan. Mix and stir to make prawn ghee rice.
For more Prawn recipes, you can check
Easy Prawn pulao
Andhra style prawn iguru
Prawns Fry Recipe
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 200 grams prawns (large or small, any variety)
- 1 to 2 tsps lemon juice
- ½ tbsp oil
- 1½ tsp ginger garlic
- salt as needed
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ½ to ¾ garam masala
- ½ coriander powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil (or ghee)
- 1 green cardamom (or elaichi)
- ½ tsp cumin (or jeera/0
- 1 medium onion (sliced or chopped)
- 1 green chili slit
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- ½ chili powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp coconut grated, fresh, (optional)
- Marinate prawns with marination ingredients. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan. The add cumin and cardamom. Allow them to splutter.
- Fry onions, green chilies with salt until golden.
- Add prawns and stir fry until they begin to swirl up. If needed add more red chili. You can also add fresh coconut if you like.
- Add curry leaves and continue again to cook till they swirl completely.
- Switch off and serve prawns fry with rice.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills. More about me
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Just made your shrimp fry and it came out very well. We had it with coarse upma. Thank you.
Your recipes never fail me, I can always rely on them. Thanks so much!
I love all her recipes. All come out sooo well.
Keep it up.
I am just 12 yrs and I can cook by reading her recipes. They are easy and delict…
Thank you Jananeshwari
Very happy to know the recipes are helping you.
Very tasty and very easy dish..My family loved it
Glad to know Rashmi
I have tried several of your recipes and they have turned out absolutely great. You are my go to for yummy food. Thank you so much for the lovely recipes you post.
Happy to know! Thank you
I was planning to make your prawns fry recipe, was wanting to keep them marinated overnight in refrigerator.
When they’ll be bought fresh from market, I might need around 2hrs or more to devein, wash & marinate them, as I might not be able to do this immediately.
Till then how to store them & keep them fresg.
Freezing without cleaning might increase the work.
Can they be kept at room temperature or refrigerator without being cleaned.
I have kept a separate air tight container for this purpose. I keep the pack of meat as is in a fresh plastic bag. Then store that in the box and wrap another bag and keep it in a separate place in the fridge (not freezer) I clean and rinse them when I am ready to cook. If you marinate these overnight with lemon juice, they may turn mushy. I would suggest not to add any acidic ingredient to the seafoods if you intend to marinate them longer than 30 to 40 mins. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation Swasthi?..
What can be used instead of lemon juice for marination over 30-40mins or overnight, as I tend to keep fish marinated over an hour at times at room temperature before frying.
Will white vinegar be a good substitute?
I would suggest, skip the sour ingredient completely and squeeze in some lemon juice before serving.
Great.. thank you so much for the tip.
Is this applicable only to fish or chicken as well
seafood is more delicate so it happens. I leave chicken even for 24 hours in the marinade, it actually helps to keep it more moist.
Hi Swasthi.. We tried the prawn recipe. It was truly delicious. Thanks for sharing!!
You are welcome. Glad you liked it
Loved the ease with which the dish can be prepared. It’s lip smacking too…
Glad you liked it!
I have tried most of your recipes like veg and non veg briyani,dhal fry,veg kurma and other veg dry items everything comes very well my husband says very tasty I was the girl who didn’t cook any items tasty before wedding but your recipes made me to tell that I am a very good cook thanks a ton to the team who is sharing such a nice and tasty recipes
Glad you liked the recipes.
This is amazing article and very useful website for veg and non veg cooking recipes
Easy n delicious
It simply superb recipes
Easy to make yet great on taste!
Awesome your recipes are damn superb. I also tried your kuska rice raita and payasam . All tasty good work
Happy to know you tried so many foods
wow its very tastt thank u.
Nice recipes.. Can u send me recipes plzzzzzzz zzzzzz mam on my id
Thanks Deepak ji,
I have done it. You should have received a verification message, please respond to it. Once you do that you will receive the new recipe links posted from now on wards.
Thanks Reddy garu