Prawns fry recipe – a quick prawns stir fry made with simple and easily available ingredients. To make any seafood, we use very few spices or garam masala. This helps to retain the original flavor of the seafood otherwise it gets dominated by the masala.
This quick prawns fry can be made under 15 minutes excluding marination time. It goes good with plain rice or any flavored rice. You can even make a prawn ghee rice just with the addition of cooked rice and ghee.
I have used fresh black tiger prawns to make this stir fry. Any variety of prawns or shrimp can be used. You can use even the smaller variety of prawns.
How to make prawns fry or royyala vepudu
1. Devein and clean prawns. Rinse them thoroughly. To remove fishy smell, they can be rinsed in little vinegar. You can also use lemon juice and salt. If using frozen prawns, you will need to soak in hot water for a while. This will help to soften them. Drain off water completely. Add lemon juice and 1 tsp oil. Mix well.
2. Add ginger garlic paste,red chili powder, turmeric, garam masala and coriander powder as well. Mix and set aside for at least 30 minutes. You can refrigerate for over night in the fridge.
3. Pour oil or ghee to a hot pan. When it turns hot, add cumin and cardamom. Saute until they begin to sizzle.
4. Stir in the onions and slit chilies. Sprinkle salt.
5. As soon as the onions turn pink, add marinated prawns and fry.
6. When they begin to swirl up, add curry leaves as well. Continue to fry again.
7. The prawns will swirl up completely. It means they are cooked thoroughly. Then add red chili powder and stir for just a minute. 1 tbsp fresh grated coconut can also be added at this stage. Stir fry until the coconut begin to smell good.
Serve prawns fry with rice. You can also add some cooked basmathi rice, little more ghee, salt to the pan. Mix and stir to make prawn ghee rice.
Prawns fry recipe
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 200 grams prawns (large or small, any variety)
- 1 to 2 tsps lemon juice
- ½ tbsp oil
- 1½ tsp ginger garlic
- salt as needed
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ½ to ¾ garam masala
- ½ coriander powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil (or ghee)
- 1 green cardamom (or elaichi)
- ½ tsp cumin (or jeera/0
- 1 medium onion (sliced or chopped)
- 1 green chili slit
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- ½ chili powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp coconut grated, fresh, (optional)
- Marinate prawns with marination ingredients. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan. The add cumin and cardamom. Allow them to splutter.
- Fry onions, green chilies with salt until golden.
- Add prawns and stir fry until they begin to swirl up. If needed add more red chili. You can also add fresh coconut if you like.
- Add curry leaves and continue again to cook till they swirl completely.
- Switch off and serve prawns fry with rice.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes