Prawn pulao recipe – Pulao is a basic rice dish made often in most Indian homes for their meal. The basic pulao is a one pot dish in which the spices are tempered first and then the veggies and rice are cooked together along with the rice. However there are many kinds of fancy recipes that yield wonderful and aromatic pulao rice. I have shared so many varieties of pulao here, this prawn pulao recipe is a adaptation of the potato pulao I shared before.
Prawn pulao can also be made in one pot, but most times the prawns get over cooked and turn hard or mushy. So I make this like the tawa pulao. This is one way I make at home which is quick and is more flavorful and delicious than the one pot prawn pulao.
I have used tiger prawns here, you can use even the small variety of prawns. We serve this with onion, carrot and cucumber slices and feel a raita doesn’t go well with this.
For more similar simple recipes, you may like to check this rice recipes.
How to make prawn pulao recipe
Prawn pulao recipe | How to make easy prawn pulao recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup rice
- 200 grams prawns (any variety)
- 1 onion medium , sliced thinly
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste or 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Handful mint leaves / pudina finely chopped
- 1 to 2 green chili slit (skip for kids)
- ½ to ¾ tsp Garam masala or biryani masala (adjust to suit your taste)
- ½ to ¾ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp Red chili powder
- 1 pinch turmeric
- Salt as needed
- 2 to 3 tbsps coconut milk or 2 tbsp water (coconut milk adds taste and aroma)
- Oil as needed
- Lemon juice as desired (optional)
Dry spices or pulao spices
- 1 small bay leaf
- 3 green cardamoms
- 4 to 6 cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp Shahi jeera
- 1 star flower / star anise
- 1 strand mace
How to make the recipe
- Wash and soak rice for about 30 mins.
- Cook it in whatever way you like either in the pot, pressure cooker or electric cooker.
- Cook rice till al dente. You can also add few drops of oil to the rice pot to keep the rice grainy. Rice should be grainy fully cooked but not mushy.
- Devein and clean prawns. Rinse them well. You can also wash them in vinegar to remove the fishy smell. Drain them completely and set aside.
- While the rice soaks and cooks, you can marinate prawns with ginger garlic paste, garam masala, coriander powder, red chili powder, salt and turmeric.
making prawn pulao
- Heat a pan with oil and saute all the pulao spices until fragrant.
- Add onions and saute until golden and cooked well. Transfer the prawns and saute for 2 to 3 mins or until the raw smell from the ginger garlic goes away. Add mint and saute for 2 mins.
- Cover and cook on a low heat until the prawns are completely cooked. Add the coconut milk or water and allow to thicken. You must be left with a thick curry like prawn mixture. At this stage if the prawn are swirled it means they are cooked completely. If not sprinkle little water and cook further. Overcooking makes them hard. So be sure not to overcook.
- Add cooked and cooled rice along with lemon juice. Mix well and serve prawn pulao hot with fresh onion, cucumber wedges and papad.