Stuffed brinjal recipe from andhra cuisine known as gutti vankaya. These hot, slightly tangy and nutty tasting brinjals go great with plain rice and ghee. This is similar to the stuffed brinjal gravy but made in a slightly different way. Roasted peanuts, sesame seeds, coconut and onions are ground and stuffed in the brinjals and cooked on a low flame. Peanuts and sesame seeds lend that unique flavor and taste to the brinjal.
To make this andhra style gutti vankaya, tender or young brinjals that do not have seeds are best suitable. I made this with 8 medium sized brinjals weighing about 400 grams, the stuffing was just enough for these, there was nothing left. Any excess left over stuffing can be just added to the pan towards the end and sauteed for 2 to 3 mins.
If you do not like to use peanuts to make this stuffed brinjal fry, then you can also use the spice masala from gutti vanakaya gasagasala kura recipe.
How to make stuffed brinjal fry recipe
1. Dry roast ¼ cup peanuts on a low to medium flame until they begin to smell good.
2. Add ½ tsp cumin, 2 tbsp sesame seeds and ¼ cup chopped coconut and saute lightly without burning until the sesame seeds smell good. Transfer this to a plate to cool.
3. Add 1 ½ tsp oil to the hot pan. Fry ¾ cup sliced onion to golden.
4. Add 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off. You can also use 1 inch ginger and 2 to 3 garlic cloves. Saute them lightly without burning.
5. Switch off the stove. To the hot pan, add 1 to 1 ½ tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder and salt as needed. You can also add half tsp garam masala or skip coriander powder and use only ¾ tsp garam masala if you like it.
6. Cool all the ingredients and add them to a blender. You can also add tamarind paste and very little jaggery. I prefer to use fresh lemon juice at the next step.
7. Blend it to a slightly coarse paste. If you have not used tamarind, add lemon juice and mix well. Taste this mixture and adjust the spice and salt levels.
8. Wash brinjals thoroughly. Keeping the stem intact, slit each of them partially. Keep them in water until used. Stuff each brinjal with the ground paste. Heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil, add curry leaves, hing and then the stuffed brinjals. Toss to coat them well with oil.
9. Cover and cook on a low flame. Flip or toss them to the sides that remain uncooked. If needed, you can sprinkle 1 to 2 tbsp water, if your brinjals are not tender.
10. When completely cooked, they will wilt off and the skin looks loose. Add coriander leaves.
You may like to check this collection of Brinjal recipes
Delicious Stuffed brinjal fry recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 400 grams brinjals or 8 to 10, / vankaya
- 2 onions medium sized , ( ¾ cup sliced)
- ¼ cup coconut
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 ½ tbsp oil
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste (or ginger & garlic chopped)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder or ¾ tsp garam masala
- salt as needed
- lemon juice or tamarind pulp as needed
- coriander leaves few
- Dry roast peanuts until nicely done. Saute sesame, cumin and coconut in the same pan. cool them.
- Saute onions until golden in 1 tsp oil. Saute also ginger garlic until the raw smell goes off.
- Add chili powder, coriander or garam masala powder and salt. Cool all these and blend to a coarse paste. Add lemon juice or tamarind as desired and mix well. Taste it and adjust the salt and chili.
- Wash and slit brinjals by keeping them intact towards the stem.
- Stuff this mixture and set them aside.
Making gutti vankaya fry
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil and add these brinjals along with curry leaves. Toss them well to coat with oil. Cover and cook until done. Occasionally toss them or flip them to cook evenly.
- When the eggplants are cooked completely, the skin wilts off. Sprinkle coriander leaves.
- Serve stuffed brinjal fry hot with rice and ghee.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes