Drumstick pickle recipe – an andhra style mulakkada pachadi recipe with step by step photos. Drumstick pickle can be served with rice , curd rice or dal- rice.
Making pickles at home is not difficult; it is easier than making a curry and it can be prepared within 30 mins and you can enjoy it for more than a month. I had prepared this drumstick pickle for a guest sometime back, and got to post it here.
Recipe of andhra style drumstick pickle below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 drumstick , fresh tender . chopped to 1 or 2 “length
- 2 ½ cups tomatoes , chopped
- 4 ½ tbsp Red chili powder (Kashmiri red chili powder or byadgi, reduce if using Guntur chili powder)
- 2 tsp methi seeds / menthulu
- tamarind , Large , lemon sized ball
- Salt to taste
- Oil as needed Tempering
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 red chili (remove the seeds and break)
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp channa dal , (optional)
- ½ tsp urad dal , split , (optional)
- oil as needed
How to make the recipe
- Dry roast 2 tsps. Of methi seeds. Cool and then make a fine powder.
- Deep fry drumsticks till almost cooked. Takes around 8 to 12 mins on medium flame. I do not deep fry as iam little worried with kids clinging on to me. You can shallow fry too but takes long. Set the drumstick pieces aside.
- In the same pan and oil, add tomatoes, turmeric and salt.
- Fry the tomatoes till completely mushy. Mine looks juicy, don’t worry if yours do not look like mine. It all depends on the kind of tomatoes you use.
- Add the fried drumsticks and cook for 3 to 4 mins or until drumsticks are fully cooked. This step is very important. Otherwise the pickle smells like raw drumstick.
- Soak tamarind in hot water for some time and squeeze well.
- Filter this in the tomato mixture to remove dirt or sand.
- Add chili powder, salt, methi powder to this and mix well.
- Taste it and check the sour and salt. If needed adjust now, after you temper, it doesn’t taste good.
- Temper with tempering ingredients pour the hot tempering over the pickle.
- Add in more oil (you can use up the oil you used for frying drumsticks), if you wish. Mix well and store it in a clean, moist free, airtight glass bottles.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
In India my Mom and MIL keep this for a couple of months without refrigeration and stays good. But I have personally never tried it without refrigeration as iam doubtful since Singapore is very humid and the weather is not stable. So I suggest you refrigerate and use up within 3 months.
Always handle the pickle with moist free spoons and hands.
Pickles spoil faster if there is not enough salt and oil in it. So add enough oil and salt.
I prefer using mustard oil, if you do not have, peanut or sunflower oil is best. or you can use mustard and half peanut. I suggest you to use at least 90 ml oil, otherwise it doesn’t taste good.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.