Drumstick recipe with potatoes – Drumstick is a pod of the Moringa Oleifera plant or tree. It goes by the names sajjan ki phalli in Hindi, munagakaya in telugu, murungakkai in tamil and nuggekai in kannada. This long green colored drumstick vegetable is widely used in the South Indian recipes to make curry, sambar and pulusu. Even their leaves are used to cook dal or in stir fry.
I am sharing a simple drumstick gravy that makes a good & simple side dish. Drumsticks and potatoes are cooked in tangy spicy onion tomato gravy that tastes scrumptious with juicy drumsticks.
If you are looking for a simple gravy then it may be for you since there is no grinding work. It can be accompanied with rice or roti. It is perfect to prepare on a working day.
To make the drumstick recipe, you can skip using potatoes or replace them with sweet potatoes or a boiled egg as well. I haven’t used any garam masala. if you desire you can use 1 tsp coriander powder and 1/2 tsp garam masala.
Preparation for drumstick recipe
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add curry leaves, mustard and jeera. When they splutter add onions and green chilies. Fry till they turn slightly transparent. They need not turn golden.
2. Add chopped drumsticks and potatoes. Fry on high heat for 2 to 3 mins. This is done to bring out the flavors of drumstick.
3. Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Fry till the tomatoes turn mushy. Remember fry and do not cook by closing the lid. The taste would be completely different by covered cooking.
4. Add red chili powder. Mix well. Fry till the raw smell of chili powder goes away. This takes about 2 to 3 mins. You can also add coriander powder along with chili powder.
5. Pour enough water to immerse the drumsticks. I added 3 cups of water. You can also add coriander powder at this stage. Cover and cook on a low to medium flame till the drumsticks are fully cooked. The longer the drumsticks are simmered on a low to medium flame the more tasty the drumstick gravy would be.
Serve drumstick potato gravy hot with rice or roti.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 3 drumsticks – vegetable drumsticks (cut to finger sized pieces)
- 3 to 4 medium onions fine chopped
- 2 medium potatoes diced or cubed
- 2 large tomatoes chopped finely
- 2 green chilies (slit)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1½ tablespoon Oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- ½ teaspoon cumin (or jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric or haldi
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala (use more if desired)
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped finely or cilantro
Making drumstick recipe
- Wash 3 drumsticks under running water. If not tender scrape off the skin lightly. Wash and chop to finger length pieces. Cube 2 medium sized potatoes to medium size, and add them to a bowl of water until used.
- Add 1½ tablespoon oil to a pan and heat. Add ½ teaspoon mustard and ½ teaspoon cumin. When they begin to splutter, add 1 sprig curry leaves,1 to 2 slit green chilies and 3 finely chopped onions. Fry until transparent or pink stirring often.
- Add drumsticks and potatoes. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add 2 large chopped tomatoes, ¼ teaspoon salt and turmeric. I usually deseed the tomatoes and use for this recipe. Fry until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Then add ½ teaspoon red chili powder and fry for 2 minutes. If you wish to add ½ teaspoon garam masala or 1 teaspoon coriander powder add it now.
- Pour water just enough to cover the drumsticks and potatoes. Cover and cook till the veggies are soft cooked. Garnish drumstick gravy with 2 tablespoons coriander leaves. Serve with plain rice & ghee.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes