Eggless chocolate chip cookies recipe – Learn to make the best eggless chocolate chip cookies at home with this simple step by step guide. This is one eggless cookie recipe that I have used time and again ever since I started baking for my toddlers. This recipe is great for those looking to bake egg free & refined flour free chocolate chip cookies that taste delicious.
This recipe will help you to make eggless chocolate chip cookies the way you prefer, with your preferred texture – Soft & chewy or thin & crispy. I have shared the details in the recipe card notes below.
I usually make these with regular wheat flour (atta), sometimes with whole wheat pastry flour. But they can also be baked with all purpose flour or a mix of both the flours in equal quantities.
Whole wheat flour makes the cookies slightly denser with a coarse and crisp texture. If you prefer light and soft texture in your cookies then replace it with all purpose flour.
Preparation for eggless chocolate chip cookies
1. Fluff up the flour in the jar with a fork and spoon ½ cup flour to a measuring cup. Level it with a knife. Add it to a mixing bowl.
2. Next add in a pinch of salt.
3. Please do a quick test by adding a large pinch of soda to 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar to ensure it is still good. It will bubble vigorously if it is still good. Measure 1/8 teaspoon baking soda and put in the flour.
4. Mix all of these well. Set aside.
5. Keep the butter out of the refrigerator for sometime until it is softened. Before proceeding further ensure it is soft but still cold. If you press down the butter with your finger, it must leave a dent. Butter must still be solid and hold shape. This is the right time to cream the butter. Add ¼ cup unsalted butter to a mixing bowl.
6. Beat it with a whisk for few seconds. I did not use a hand mixer just used my whisk.
7. Add in 2 tbsps light brown sugar and 2 tbsps regular sugar. Using all 4 tbsps of regular sugar will alter the texture of cookies making them more crisp & crunchy. Light brown sugar adds some moisture and flavor to the cookies. Please note that altering the sugars can alter the end results.
8. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy just for 2 mins. Do not over do – to a stage where butter separates from sugar. If you feel the butter is about to melt then put it in the fridge for 5 mins and then continue to cream.
9. Add in ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract and mix well.
Make cookie dough
10. Next add in the flour. Same here as well, if the butter looks it is about to melt, then keep in the fridge for 5 mins before adding the flour.
11. Mix well with your fingers to make a dough. If it turns sticky you can add in 1 tbsp flour. If you have used all purpose flour or maida, then you may need 1 tsp to tbsp more. If the dough becomes dry then, sprinkle 1 tbsp milk and make a dough. Dough must be moist but not sticky. I did not have to add more flour or milk at this stage.
12. Add in ¼ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
13. Gently mix them. Cover and chill in refrigerator until the oven turns hot for 15 mins. If the dough is too sticky then you may need to chill for 30 mins.
14. Preheat the oven at 180 C or 350 F for at least 15 mins. Divide the dough to 9 parts and place them on a parchment paper.
15. Optional – I tucked in some more choco chips.
16. I baked for exactly 9 to 10 mins. Be alert and remove them in time when you see the edges begin to brown slightly. The cookies will bake further on the tray even after they come out of the oven. They will be slightly soft in the center but will firm up when cooled.
If you over bake they will turn too crisp or crunchy and dry.
Remove them to a wire rack and cool completely.
Store eggless chocolate chip cookies in a airtight container.
Eggless chocolate chip cookies
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup flour – wheat flour (atta) or all purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter (soft and cold)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (large, not mini)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk optional, if needed
- Fluff up the flour in the jar and spoon it to the measuring cup. Then level it with a knife.
- Add it to a mixing bowl. Mix together flour, baking soda and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- To another bowl, add in softened butter. It must be soft but cold and when pressed down with a finger it must dent. Next it must also hold shape and remain in solid state.
- Whisk it just for 30 seconds. Then add light brown sugar and regular sugar. Cream until light and fluffy for about 1 to 2 mins. Do not over beat , butter begins to melt.
- Add in vanilla and mix.
- Now add the flour to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix well just until combined to form a non sticky dough.
- If the dough turns sticky add in 1 tsp more flour and mix. If the dough is dry, then sprinkle 1 tsp milk and mix well. (I did not have to add flour or milk at all)
Baking eggless chocolate chip cookies
- Cover and chill the dough in refrigerator for 15 to 30 mins.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 F for at least 15 mins.
- Divide the dough to 9 parts and shape them to balls.
- Place them on a tray lined with parchment paper. If desired just tuck in 2 to 3 choco chips to each of the dough balls.
- Bake for 9 to 10 mins. Remove when the edges begin to turn slightly brown. The cookies will be slightly soft in the center but will firm up after cooling. They will still bake on the tray after removing it from the oven. So remove them a bit early.
- Cool completely on a wire rack. Store them in a air tight jar and use up within 7 days.
- To make soft, chewy and light cookies, use all purpose flour. Bake them a little lesser time than mentioned in the recipe card.
- Next to make them thin & crisp, just flatten the dough a bit after placing on the baking tray. Bake them for 10 to 11 mins.
- If using all-purpose flour you will need 1 tsp to tbsp more flour.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes