Nankhatai recipe – Delicious & light eggless cookies made with besan (chickpea flour), wheat flour, ghee and sugar. Nankhatai are traditional Indian eggless cookies made with all-purpose flour, semolina, sugar and ghee. However they can be made with atta alone or with a combination of besan and all purpose flour or atta.
For this post, I have used besan and atta. I prefer to use besan since the aroma of the besan nankhatai is great and they taste delicious. These are perfect to enjoy with a cup of warm milk or hot tea.
Nankhatai can also be made with only maida and just a tbsp of semolina or corn flour to get the added crunch. If you are making these regularly I suggest using besan or atta instead of maida.
For the fats, butter or ghee can be used. The cookies made of ghee taste the best & they lend a unique aroma.
I baked these in an oven, if you do not own a oven, you can make these in a pressure cooker. Fill 11 inch of the cooker base with crystal salt and cover it with a foil. Place the nankhatai tray on the foil. Remove the gasket and close the lid. Bake on a low flame. Keep checking after 10 mins.
Nankhatai Recipe | How to make Nankhatai
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ¾ Cup besan or chickpea flour or wheat flour (atta) – 75 grams
- ¼ Cup wheat flour (atta) or maida – 25 grams
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 2 green cardamoms powdered
- ½ Cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ Cup solid ghee or soft butter
- 1 Pinch salt
How to make the recipe
Preparation for nankhatai
- Preheat the oven at 180 C at least for 15 mins.
- Powder sugar along with cardamom seeds.
- Sieve the flours, salt and baking soda together. Set this aside.
- Mix the sugar and ghee well. Whisk well until creamy.
- Next mix together with flour to make a stiff dough.
How to make nankhatai
- Prepare a tray with parchment paper. Make 14 to 16 balls out of the dough. Then slightly flatten and bake exactly for 15 to 19 mins. Check after 14 mins.
- Cool them completely and store in an airtight jar. They keep good for 3 weeks.
- Enjoy nankhatai as a snack.
Preparation for Nankhatai recipe
Measure the ingredients first.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C for at least 15 mins. Grease a tray and line the parchment paper. Prepare the dough. Add sugar and the cardamom seeds to a blender jar.
2. Make a fine powder. Measure and set aside. You will be left with more powdered sugar, use just half cup.
3. Sieve flours together with salt and soda. Mix them well.
4. Measure the powdered sugar and add to a bowl. Add ghee.
5. Whisk them well until creamy.
6. Add that to the flour.
7. Mix the flour and ghee mixture to make a dough.
How to make nankhatai
8. Divide the dough to 9 to 12 parts. Make balls and place them on a greased tray. Slightly flatten. With the help of a skewer or a fork make some incisions. You can also tuck in some cashews or any chopped nuts.
9. Bake for 15 to 19 mins until golden.
Move nankhatai to a cooling rack. Cool completely and store in a air tight jar. They keep good for 2 to 3 weeks at room temperature.