Hariyali chicken or green chicken is a delicious Indian dish made with chicken, fresh aromatic herbs and spices. It goes well with plain rice, jeera rice, roti or even with ghee rice. There are a lot of Indian dishes that are cooked with a green paste made with green chilli, coriander and mint leaves.
These dishes turn out to be the most flavorful, delicious & healthy with a loaded greens. This green paste is used to make tikkas, kababs, stir fry dishes, pulao & biryani recipes.
In this post I have shared how to make green chicken. You can also use the same recipe to make hariyali chicken tikkas or one pot green chicken rice. I have shared the tips below.
This recipe is quite simple and takes less than 30 minutes. The first step is to make the green paste. Then saute the chicken and then add the green paste. Saute for a while and simmer it either in water, coconut milk or cashew milk.
If you want to make hariyali chicken tikka then just marinate the boneless chicken pieces with the green paste & 2 tbsps of thick yogurt or curd. Rest it overnight in the fridge and grill them in the oven until done.
To make one pot green chicken rice, please check the step by step photos. You can also make the rice in a cooker by pressure cooking for 1 whistle.
I sometimes make the chicken rice with this green masala. Here is how to do it. After you saute the chicken in green paste. Add the yogurt, 1 tsp more garam masala and cook until the chicken is almost done.
Evaporate the excess moisture and then pour 3 cups of water and bring it to a rolling boil. Then add drained and soaked basmati rice.
Cook covered on a low heat until the rice is done. Serve the rice hot.
Add coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chilies and onions to a blender jar and make a smooth paste. Set aside.
How to make green chicken
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin. When they begin to splutter then add cumin. The seeds will sizzle then add the ginger garlic and fry for a minute until the raw smell goes off.
2. Add 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon garam masala and the chicken. Saute for 2 to 3 mins until pale.
3. Then add the prepared hara masala.
4. Saute for 3 to 4 mins until the raw smell of onion goes off.
5. Optional – Reduce the flame to low. Then add in whisked yogurt if using. I used about 4 tbsps and sauteed until the yogurt blended well. Cook on a low heat until yogurt is absorbed.
6. Then pour water or coconut milk. Give a good stir and add salt.
7. Simmer until the chicken is tender and cooked through well. When done the chicken will become fork tender.
Optional – I prefer to saute some bell peppers & curry leaves in oil and add them towards the end. This enhances the flavor.
Serve green chicken with rice or roti.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
for green paste
- 1 cup coriander leaves (tightly packed) with tender stalks
- ½ cup mint leaves (tightly packed) (pudina)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 green chilies (adjust as desired)
- 3 green cardamoms (or ½ tsp powder)
- Add coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chilies, green cardamoms, onion, green chilies to a blender jar. If you do not have ginger garlic paste, then add half inch ginger and 3 medium garlic cloves to the same jar.
- Make a fine paste without adding water. Set this aside.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add cumin and allow them to crackle.
- Then saute the curry leaves until crisp. Then add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Add garam masala, coriander powder and chicken. Fry till it turns white in color.
- Cover and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add green paste, fry for 3 to 4 mins until a nice aroma comes out.
- Cover and cook for another 2 mins. This way the aroma of green masala and spice is absorbed by the chicken.
- Optional – Turn the flame to low. If using yogurt whisk it very well until smooth and then add it to the pan. Stir and cook for 3 to 4 mins till the yogurt is absorbed.
- Then pour water & add salt.
- Stir well and cook covered until the chicken is tender.
- Open the lid and cook until the gravy reaches a desired consistency.
- Serve hariyali chicken with rice or roti. If desired squeeze in some lemon juice before serving.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes