KFC style fried chicken recipe, how to make crispy fried chicken in KFC style at home. With time and experience we get better in cooking, day after day and this is what happened with me. After numerous trials, I felt this is one of the best and easy recipe to make KFC fried chicken at home.
How KFC makes the best tasting fried chicken is a trade secret which no one knows. But there can definitely be a no better and healthier way to enjoy a fried chicken than to prepare at home. Healthier and a deep fried chicken! Not really though.
There are no pesky ingredients like MSG / ajjinomotto or what so ever in my recipe. You can try using brown bread crumbs or pulsed oats or pulsed corn flakes for a healthier choice.
Kfc doesn’t use bread crumbs for the fried chicken. But I have used it here just for the extra crisp outcome.
For the best look, use bread crumbs or panko crumbs that are not too large. Using large crumbs makes covering look husky like the one in pictures. If using dried rosemary, crush it well and then add.
However an healthiest way is to bake the chicken, check out my baked chicken fingers to learn how to bake it.
This best fried chicken recipe can be used to fry drumsticks too. But i had a not so good experience frying them. The drumsticks were cracked and the inner part began to splash on to me while frying. I suggest drumsticks if you are experienced in choosing the right ones for deep frying. Otherwise it will mess up the oil and discolor the chicken.
Fried chicken recipe
KFC fried chicken
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 500 grams chicken drumsticks or fillets (½ kg)
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 egg large
- ½ tsp. Pepper powder
- 1 tbsp. Ginger garlic paste or ginger garlic powder
- ¾ tsp. garam masala powder (or other seasoning like cajun spice or all spice)
- 1 tsp. onion powder (optional)
- ¾ to 1 tsp. paprika or Kashmiri chili powder
- Salt as needed
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- ½ to ¾ cup Bread crumbs
- 1¼ cup buttermilk (or 4 tbsps curd or yogurt)
How to make the recipe
Preparation – Brine chicken
- Pour buttermilk to a bowl. If you do not have it, add 4 tbsp curd to a bowl and pour 1 cup water. Whisk it well with ¼ tsp salt. Mix it well. Check if there is enough salt.
- Wash chicken and drain off all excess water. Add it to the buttermilk. Refrigerate overnight or at least for 4 hours. This makes the chicken turn tender and soft.
- Drain the buttermilk.
Marinate to make fried chicken
- Add pepper powder, ginger garlic, seasoning spice powder and red chilli powder.
- Beat an egg and pour it to the bowl.
- Add corn flour. Mix well. Set aside for at least 45 minutes.
- Pick up each of these pieces and roll them in the bread crumbs. or pour crumbs over and mix.
- You can leave them in the crumbs for a while.
How to make crispy fried chicken
- Pour oil to a heavy bottom pan. Heat it.
- Check if the oil is hot enough. Drop a small portion of the wet mixture to the hot oil. If it rises without browning then the temperature is right.
- Shake off the excess crumbs from the chicken. Drop one after the other to hot oil.
- Fry them on medium high heat till golden. If the flame is too high, it gets browned without getting cooked inside.
- Keep stirring often until done.
- Serve fried chicken hot with ketchup or your favorite dip.
How to make KFC fried chicken at home
1. Wash chicken well. You can use either large fillets or drumsticks. Drain off excess water.
2. Add salt to buttermilk and mix. Add chicken to this. Refrigerate 4 hours to over night. I do not suggest to skip this as the chicken will not cook through properly without brining.
3. Drain the chicken.
4. Beat an egg and add it to the bowl.
5. Add ginger garlic, lemon juice, red chili powder, salt, pepper powder, flour and garam masala. Marinate well.
6. Set this aside for about 45 minutes.
7. Pour the bread crumbs over the chicken. Mix well and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
8. Heat oil in a heavy bottom deep pan/kadai. Fry till golden at medium high temperature. If the oil is very hot chicken gets browned fast without getting cooked inside. The oil should be hot enough and the flame at medium high.
Enjoy fried chicken with your favorite ketchup.