Tandoori chicken recipe with video & step by step pictures – Learn how to make delicious restaurant style tandoori chicken at home with this simple recipe. Tandoori chicken originated from the Mughlai cuisine & is one of the most popular chicken appetizers that stole the hearts of many across the globe. This recipe will give you the soft, juicy, flavorful and delicious grilled chicken with bursting flavors of spices & a unique smoky aroma .
You can make this tandoori chicken in an oven & on stovetop. But oven or cooking directly on fire yields the best results.
This mouth-watering delicious chicken is well known as murgh tandoor or tandoori murgh. The term murgh meaning chicken and tandoor is a clay oven. So this dish is all about marinating and grilling chicken in a tandoor.
This tandoori chicken recipe yields spicy chicken that is soft and juicy with all the flavors of spices infused. These are spicy but not hot. Even kids can enjoy them. This recipe uses no food color or butter, making this a low fat chicken starter.
Most Indian homes do not own a oven and use the stove for their daily cooking. So I am sharing how to make tandoori chicken on stove and also in oven.
You can use store bought or ready made tandoori masala. However I have never used one to suggest. All the ingredients mentioned here for the masala will be present in most Indian kitchens. So try it from scratch, like I did.
You can serve this chicken tandoori as a starter or as a side with a meal.
1. Firstly transfer hung curd or greek yogurt to a large bowl. It is nothing but curd that has been strained of all the liquid. Please check this link for making hung curd.
2. Put in all the spice powders. Garam masala, coriander powder, pepper powder, turmeric, chili powder and salt. Also add in ginger garlic paste and kasuri methi as well.
3. Add in lemon juice.
4. Pour oil as well.
5. Mix well and taste the marinade. Add any ingredient needed to suit your taste like salt and chili powder. The marinade has to be thick otherwise it will stick up to the pan. There may be lot of moisture that will let out.
6. Make sure the chicken has no dripping water. If needed wipe dry with a kitchen tissue. Next make deep gashes to the chicken.
7. Marinate it well so that the masala reaches deep inside. The marinade will tenderize the chicken. So make sure you do it properly.
8. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours to over night. Do not reduce the time as the chicken will not get cooked and turn tender.
How to make tandoori chicken
9. Heat a pan. Spread 1 to 2 tbsp oil.
10. When the oil turns hot, place the chicken on the tawa. Regulate the heat to medium.
11. After 3 to 4 minutes flip the pieces. Smear the marinade.
12. Flip them again after 3 to 4 mins.
13. Meanwhile add red chili powder to a small bowl. Mix it with the oil. This is optional. Skip if you do not want spiced ones.
14. Smear that to the tandoori chicken.
15. Flip them. Cook on both the sides until soft and cooked. If it looks too dry, smear little soft butter.
Smoking tandoori chicken
16. This step is also optional, unless you want to smoke the chicken. Burn the charcoal.
17. When it turns hot, drop it in a cup. Immediately pour 1 to 2 tsps ghee.
18. It will begin to smoke immediately.
19. Finally cover it and allow to smoke for 5 to 7 mins.
20. Before smoking the tandoori chicken, do check if it is cooked well. The meat should fall off the bone easily.
Serve tandoori chicken with sliced onions, carrots and lemon wedges.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ kg chicken (or 500 to 700 grams)
- ½ cup greek yogurt (or hung curd)
- ¾ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder (or daniya powder)
- ¼ tsp salt (taste marinade & add more)
- ¼ tsp Turmeric (or haldi)
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tbsp oil (preferably mustard oil)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 to 2 tbsp oil (preferably mustard oil)
Marinade for tandoori chicken
- To a mixing bowl, add greek yogurt or hung curd (thick curd). If you do not have it make your own following the notes below.
- Next add in ginger garlic paste, garam masala, red chili powder, salt, turmeric, kasuri methi, pepper powder and coriander powder.
- Pour oil and lemon juice as well.
- Mix everything well. The marinade has to be thick and not of dripping consistency. Taste it and add more salt and chili powder if needed.
- Make deep gashes over the chicken and add it to the bowl.
- Marinate the chicken well into the gashes.
- Cover and set aside for at least 6 hours. If you reduce the marination time, chicken will not turn soft and juicy. It may not get cooked well if making on tawa.
How to make tandoori chicken
- For the stove method, please follow the step by step instructions after the recipe card. Preheat the oven at 240 C for at least 15 mins.
- Place a foil on a oven tray to collect the drippings.
- Then keep a greased wire rack on the tray.
- Place the chicken pieces over the wire rack.
- Grill the chicken for about 15 mins.
- For spicy version mix together 1 tsp red chili powder with 1 tbsp oil.
- After 15 mins of grillling, baste the red chili oil over the chicken. You can also baste the left over marinade over the chicken.
- Flip the chicken to the other side and baste the red chili oil or marinade.
- Grill for another 6 to 10 mins or until the chicken is cooked through. You will need to adjust the timing as it depends on size of the chicken pieces.
- The last 5 mins, you can move the entire tray with wire rack to the top most rack. This gives the charred effect. You can also burn a char coal piece and place it in a small cup. Keep that in the chicken tray. Cover with a large utensil. Allow it to smoke for 5 to 7 mins.
- Brush the dripping all over the chicken. This keeps the chicken moist.
- Restaurant style tandoori chicken is ready. Serve with onion and lemon wedges.
Video of tandoori chicken
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes