Chicken kebab recipe – Soft, juicy and delicious yogurt marinated chicken kabab. Any piece of food, mostly meat that is grilled over charcoal fire is called kabab or kebab. Shami kababs, seekh kababs, galouti kabab, reshmi kababs, doner kebab are some of the most popular ones. I am sharing a simple chicken kebab recipe which i make at home sometimes for a weekend snack or meal.
These chicken kebab go very well as a starter. These can also be used in wraps and salads too. They taste delicious with a very good aroma. They turn quite soft and juicy.
Easy chicken kebab recipe below
Chicken kebab recipe | How to make chicken kabab recipe | Kebab recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 250 grams chicken boneless cubes
- 2 to 3 tbsp thick curd or greek yogurt or hung curd
- 2 tbsp oil (olive oil or sesame oil)
- salt as needed
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ¾ tsp garam masala or a mix of ground cumin, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, pepper, coriander
- 1 to 1½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¾ to 1 tsp red chilli powder or paprika
- 1 medium onion cubed and layers separated
How to make the recipe
Ensure chicken is free from excess moisture. Drain it completely.
Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Marinate the chicken well and rub each piece for few seconds.
Cover completely. Refrigerate for over night or at least 4 hours. Resting tenderizes the chicken and it absorbs flavors well.
If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for a while.
- Line the chicken and onions alternately on the skewers.
Making chicken kebab
- Preheat the oven to 240 C for minimum 15 to 20 mins.
- Place them in a tray and grill for 15 mins.
- After 15 mins, Flip them and grill for another 15 mins.
- The last 5 mins, move the tray to the top rack or broil. At this stage you can brush some butter or oil over the kababs if you prefer.
- Serve chicken kebab hot with mint raita or chutney.
Preparation for chicken kabab recipe or kebab recipe
1. First prepare marinade with hung curd or greek yogurt. Add it to a mixing bowl along with lemon juice, ginger garlic paste, turmeric, chilli powder, salt, oil and garam masala.
My ginger garlic paste has turmeric in it, so I did not add any more. I prefer to use onion for most grilled foods as they lend a unique aroma when they are charred.
2. Add boneless chicken as well to a bowl. Make sure there is no water. Excess moisture either in the chicken or yogurt is going to drip off from the chicken. So this doesn’t make kebabs so good.
3. Marinate the chicken with the prepared marinade. Add the onions as well.
4. Next marinate and refrigerate over night or least for 4 hours. The longer they soak up in the marinade the more tender and delicious they taste.
How to make chicken kabab
5. When you are ready to grill them in the oven. Firstly heat the oven to 240 C for at least 15 to 20 mins. Next rinse the skewers and put them on alternately chicken and onion.
6. Next grill the chicken kebab for 15 to 20 mins and flip them. Grill for another 10 to 15 mins. The last 5 mins I prefer to move the tray to the top rack. At this stage you can also brush the kababs with little butter or oil. I have not done it.
The onions will char and impart a good flavor when moved to the top rack. The difference in the color is due to the lighting. They turn out red in color if you use a good chili powder.
Serve chicken kebab hot with mint chutney or mint yogurt raita or green chutney.