Popcorn chicken recipe – Learn to make crunchy kfc style popcorn chicken at home with this simple and quick recipe. Popcorn chicken is much popular in every part of the world and makes its presence on the menus of KFC, fast food centres & even in restaurants. I am sure these delicious, flavorful & crisp fried tender popcorn chicken will be your new favorite. Enjoy them with any sauce or garlic mayo dip.
Popcorn chicken is made in many different flavors & is region specific. Most times KFC keeps changing their flavorings too. I have shared the most basic recipe here with some optional seasonings. So you can use your favorite herbs and spices to suit your taste buds.
This recipe of popcorn chicken has always been a winner & never fails to impress my family, especially my kids. Give this a try & you will say these popcorn chicken are not only crunchy, delicious & addictive but also the best!
You can prepare them ahead and freeze or refrigerate for later use. All you need to do is just defrost them in the refrigerator & bring down to room temperature. Then fry them or even bake them for a healthier option.
If you love them spicy then enjoy the crunchy popcorn chicken with this Schezwan sauce.
Tips to make best popcorn chicken
1.Bread crumbs are one of the key ingredients that makes this popcorn chicken crunchy. Kfc does not use the crumbs but just go ahead and try these.
2.To make the best popcorn chicken, brining the chicken bites is the key.
As a substitute to brine, you can also use egg as a quick fix like the way I have shown in this post.
If you skip both the steps then chicken will not be tender & soft. Often fried chicken bites turn out fibrous & dry if they are not prepared well.
To brine just whisk 4 tbsps curd or yogurt with ¾ cup of water. Add pepper or other flavoring ingredients to it. Then rest chicken in this for 4 hours to overnight in the fridge. Drain it up & use.
This step not will yield the most delicious tender bites of popcorn chicken with bursting flavors
3.Frying chicken at the right temperature is also the key. More tips in the recipe card below.
Can these be baked?
Yes they can be baked at 400 F or 200 C in a preheated oven for 10 to 12 mins on each side. Grease a wire rack and place on a baking tray. Place the chicken bites on it.
KFC style popcorn chicken recipe
Popcorn chicken recipe | How to make kfc style popcorn chicken
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for popcorn chicken
- 250 grams chicken (boneless)
- 2 tbsps corn flour (or corn starch) or all purpose flour (maida)
- 1 egg (or 2 to 4 tbsp buttermilk or yogurt)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (or panko crumbs)
- Salt (about ¼ tsp or more)
- ¾ tbsp ginger garlic paste (or ½ tsp Garlic powder)
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp onion powder (optional)
- ¾ tsp red chili powder (or paprika or cayenne pepper)
- 1 tsp garam masala (or any other seasoning, use as needed)
- Oil for deep frying
optional for serving
- ½ to 1 tsp seasoning like wasabi or sriracha powder
How to make the recipe
Preparation for popcorn chicken recipe
- To a mixing bowl, add paprika or red chili powder, pepper powder, ginger garlic or garlic powder, masala powder (or any seasoning) and salt.
- Mix well and taste the mixture. Adjust the salt and spice as needed.
- Cut chicken to tiny bite sized pieces. Make sure you cut them to uniform sizes as this helps to fry all of them uniformly.
- Transfer the cut chicken to the seasoning and mix well. Now add the flour and coat the chicken with the flour.
- Pour the egg white to a small bowl and then the bread crumbs to another bowl. Place them side by side.
- Pick up each piece of chicken & dip in the egg or buttermilk. Remove and roll in the bread crumbs. Place them in a wide plate. Repeat the same step until all the chicken bites are breaded.
- For extra crunch you can also double coat the chicken pieces by dipping in egg mixture again and then rolling them in bread crumbs again.
- Rest for 10 to 15 mins for the bread crumbs to stick well to the pieces. If you have used buttermilk then it is good to rest them at least for an hour. You can also refrigerate up to 48 hours for further use.
How to make popcorn chicken
- Heat oil on a medium flame.
- When the oil is hot enough, check by dropping a small piece of bread crumb. It has to rise without browning a lot. 350 to 375 F is the right temperature if you are measuring.
- Gently slide the pieces one after the other to the oil. Do not stir or disturb them for about a minute otherwise the bread crumbs may disperse in oil.
- Do not crowd the pan with many chicken bites at one time. Fry popcorn chicken in batches.
- Deep fry evenly till golden on a medium flame. Keep stirring after a minute or two for even frying.
- Drain popcorn chicken on a kitchen tissue and serve hot with ketchup, sauce or any other dip.
- You can sprinkle your favorite seasoning over popcorn chicken before serving. Sriracha or wasabi go great on these.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
- Chiptole powder
- Sriracha powder
- Seaweed seasoning
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
1. Add red chili powder, ginger garlic (paste or powder) onion powder, pepper powder and salt. If you have rosemary or any other seasonings you can add that as well now. Mix well and taste the spice mixture. If needed add more alt and spice.
Chop chicken to bite sized pieces. Mix well with the spice mix to coat evenly.
2. Add corn flour or maida. Coat the chicken with the flour. Then pour egg or buttermilk to a separate bowl. Dip each piece of chicken in the egg. I did the other way by adding the egg and mixing up all at one time.
3. Pick up each piece of egg coated chicken and roll in the bread crumbs. For extra crunch you can double coat the pieces again. Dip the once coated pieces in egg mixture and coat them again in bread crumbs.
4. Mix well and set aside for about 10 to 15 minutes. This helps the bread to stick well to the popcorn chicken. You can also refrigerate for further use.
How to make popcorn chicken
5. Heat oil on a medium flame. Check if the oil is hot by dropping a bread crumb. It has to rise without browning quickly.
6. Drop the chicken pieces one by one. Do not disturb or stir for a minute as the crumbs may mess up the oil. Keep stirring while frying for even browning. Fry in batches till you finish. Drain them on a kitchen tissue.
Popcorn chicken is ready
Serve hot with your favorite ketchup or sauce. You can also sprinkle your favorite seasoning on top.