amla rice – usirikaya pulihora with step by step photos. Indian gooseberry is known as amla in Indian languages and usirikaya in my mother tongue telugu. It is well known for its health benefits and is proved to be the best immune boosters. It is high in vitamin C and a great source of antioxidants.
It helps to control diabetes, heart diseases and protects us from cancer. Due to its high anti-oxidants, it slows down ageing.
With so many health benefits, we should be including them in our diet at least during the season when markets are flooded with fresh amla or usirikaya.
This amla rice recipe is from my mum who makes this during the month of karthika (November). It is called as usirikaya pulihora. Though this rice does not taste too good, it a good way of consuming amla and healthy.
How to make amla rice or usirikaya pulihora
1. Methi seeds and mustard seeds are used to add aroma to the rice. This is optional, if you do not like them skip this step. Dry roast methi seeds until they turn aromatic. Cool and make a powder of methi and mustard seeds together. Set this aside.
2. To the same jar, add chopped amla, turmeric, salt and green chillis.
3. Blend them together to a coarse or smooth mix to suit your taste.
4. Make the seasoning. Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard. When they splutter, fry dals, peanuts until golden. Add red chilis, curry leaves and ginger. Saute until the curry leaves turn crisp.
5. Add hing and the grinded amla. Saute for 2 to 3 mins. Add the mustard and methi powder.
6. Add cooked cooled rice. Mix well and adjust salt as needed.
amla rice | usirikaya pulihora | amla recipes
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 3/4 to 1 cup amla pieces , chopped . (Indian gooseberry) (adjust as needed)
- 2 green chilies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp mustard
- 1 tsp channa dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 3 tbsp peanuts
- 3 tbsp oil (sesame oil preferred)
- 1 tbsp Ginger sliced or shredded
- 1 red chili optional
- 1 Pinch turmeric
- ½ tsp mustard seeds powdered
- 1 Pinch methi seeds / menthulu
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Cook rice grainy. Do not make rice mushy. Spread it on a wide plate and cool.
- Dry roast methi seeds. Cool them. Add them to a blender jar along with mustard seeds. Powder finely. Set aside.
- Grind amla pieces along with salt, turmeric and chilies.
- Heat oil in a pan, add red chili, mustard seeds, channa dal, urad dal and peanuts, fry till they turn golden.
- Add curry leaves, hing and ginger, fry to get a nice ginger aroma.
- Add the grinded paste and fry for 2 to 3 mins. Add the mustard powder.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well. Before adding rice make sure, it has cooled completely
- Serve amla rice with papad.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes