Usirikaya pachadi is Amla chutney or gooseberry chutney. It is also known as usirikaya thokku pachadi. This recipe is from my mum who makes it often during karthika masam. Indian gooseberry is called as Amla in Hindi, nellikai in tamil and kannada and usirikaya in Telugu. During the season, amla are available fresh and cheap in the Indian markets. Amla is an immunity booster since it is high in vitamin C and has been used for years to prepare ayuvedic medicines.
It is used to treat many ailments. We buy these in bulk and make a usirikaya thokkudu pachadi that can be stored for almost one year. We even make amla juice, pickle, amla rice and instant usirikaya pachadi.
There are many versions of making this amla chutney or usirikaya pachadi. My recipe uses sesame seeds that help to neutralize the cooling effect of Amla and gives a nutty taste to the chutney. You can replace it with chana and urad dal. This chutney can be had with rice, chapathi or dosa.
Find complete usirikaya pachadi or amla chutney below
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup amla / usirikaya pieces, chopped
- 2 tbsp Sesame seeds or 1 tbsp. chana dal and 1 tbsp. urad dal
- 4 to 5 red chilies (adjust more or less as needed)
- ½ tsp cumin
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- ¼ tsp urad dal / minapapappu
- 1 chilli ,broken
- 1 Pinch hing
- Roast sesame seeds lightly or chana dal and urad dal till golden on a medium flame. Set aside to cool.
- Fry red chilies in 1 tsp oil and set aside, add cumin to the hot chilies.
- Fry amla pieces in the same pan on a medium high flame for 3 to 4 mins, do not burn them.
- Powder the sesame seeds first and add red chilies and cumin. Grind to powder.
- Once cool, add the usirikaya pieces and salt to the same blender and grind to smooth. Do not add water.
- Add oil to the same pan used for frying amla.
- Add mustard, cumin, dal, red chili. Fry until the dal turns golden. Add curry leaves and sesame seeds if using. Spirnkle hing. Pour this to the usirikaya pachadi and mix.
- Serve with plain rice and ghee.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes