Andhra chilli chicken recipe
Andhra chilli chicken would be a great addition to a party menu as a starter / appetizer or even as a side dish to rice varieties like pulao or biryani and even as a side dish with rasam rice. Making this hot and spicy south Indian chicken starter is quite easy whether you have a friend home for meal or have a crowd for a party, it is apt to make it considering its simplicity and the great taste.
But what this Andhra chilli chicken or green chilli chicken is? A fiery hot chicken starter that is very very popular in Bangalore. Yes it has nothing to do with Andhra cuisine. But just a name given by restaurateurs and street vendors in Bangalore to denote that the chicken is fiery hot (hot foods are the star of Andhra cuisine).
There are 2 versions of this chicken starter. The restaurant style one is just very simple. The chicken is marinated overnight and then cooked. Whenever they get orders for this dish, they stir fry the cooked chicken in ghee and serve hot.
The other one is served as a street food, a deep fried version just like the Indo Chinese chili chicken dry but tempered with lot of green chilies and curry leaves instead of the sauces.
This is an updated andhra green chilli chicken recipe. Recently I happened to find Chef Sanjeev Kapoor’s video on how to make this chicken starter. But I did not dare to try it, as it calls for 2 cups of green chilies which surprised me.
More Chicken recipes,
Andhra chicken fry
How to make andhra green chilli chicken
1. Soak chicken in butter milk overnight or at least for 2 hours.
2. Blend green chilies, coriander leaves in a jar.
3. Marinate chicken with marination ingredients. Cook until the meat is done fully.
4. Heat a pan with cumin, curry leaves and slit chilies. Add chicken and then the blended paste. Fry for 3 to 5 minutes.
Serve andhra chilli chicken hot.
Andhra chilli chicken recipe
Andhra chilli chicken
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 300 grams chicken
- 1 tsp solid ghee
- 2 onions medium sized , coarsely crushed or pulsed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- turmeric powder Little
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup coriander leaves tightly packed, fresh
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp cumin / jeera
- 2 to 3 green chilies , slit
- Wash and soak chicken in buttermilk overnight and refrigerate. Drain off the buttermilk fully, the next morning.This is done only to tenderize the chicken. If you have meat tenderizer you can use it too. You can skip this step totally and just marinate with the marination ingredients and set aside for 45 minutes to 1 hour
- Make a fine paste of the coriander leaves and green chili, set aside till we use it for seasoning. Coarsely crush or pulse onion in a mixer.
- Mix all the marination ingredients along with crushed onions and chicken. If your chicken is not soaked in buttermilk for atleast few hours, then i suggest you set aside after marination for 45 minutes to 1 hour
- Cook chicken on a medium flame till tender and soft. If needed you can sprinkle little water. If the chicken oozes out more moisture, evaporate by cooking on high. But do not overcook at high temperature for long. It can make the chicken hard.
- Heat a pan with oil, add cumin, when they begin to splutter add curry leaves and green chilies. Fry till the leaves turn crisp
- Transfer the cooked chicken and add ground coriander chilli paste.
- Mix well and fry for about 3 to 5 minutes on a medium flame, till you begin to get a nice aroma of the coriander leaves.
- Serve with onion and lemon wedges
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Can i add garlic?
Yes you can add chopped garlic to the tempering
Can i add water in the end to make it as gravy
I have not tried it. It may turn runny if you add a lot.
All chicken resipes have come out really well
Tried this out last weekend and it really turned out yummy. Reduced the spice level a bit as hubby can’t tolerate much.
He did compliment a lot thought.
Thanks for the recipe:)
Thank you so much. Very glad to know the recipe turned out good
I am going to try this, recipe for tonight’s dinner, looks easy , I’ll post my review later Swathi
I was searching for an authentic recipe.
Thanks. I will post my finishing comments later.
Excellent yummy no more words to appreciate this recipe
This is not an authentic chilli chicken recipe Swasthi ji.. I have an authentic one which was passed on by a chef from an andhra cuisine restaurant. If interested mail me.
You can send me the recipe. Chilli chicken is not a authentic andhra recipe. It is just a fancy dish served in andhra restuarnts. We can find many kinds of chilli chicken in andhra restaurants. I can try your recipe as well. Do send it to contact(at)indianhealthyrecipes.com
Your andhra chilli chicken recipe….green chilli chicken dry was very easy to prepare and was yummy…..loved it
Just enjoyed ??????
So glad to know you loved it. Thank you
I really like this recipes.. …wow andhra chicken yummy.. ..tasty..
Thank you Zumrudha
This seems like a super recipe.. After spending 6 years in Bangalore and loving Andhra food to bits I am learning to cook more and more Andhra food. I am going to try this over the weekend…
Would love to hear how it turned out
Superb I like this so much
Nice swathi ji
wow… delicious and spicy chicken… beautiful presentation…
me gusta el pollo picante!!, bsts
love all chicken recipes n u r just rocking with ur collection. yum
Wow I am bookmarking this. Luv it.
Swasthi, this is a fantastic chicken recipe! I love green chillies and this is perfect 🙂
Looks like I'll need to bookmark your entire recipe list..yet again an awesome dish!!
Tempting and spicy chicken.