Chicken 65 recipe. – Learn how to make chicken 65 recipe at home. Chicken 65 is a popular spicy, delicious and hot South Indian restaurant style boneless chicken starter. There are so many ways a chicken 65 is made. All totally different from one another with different styles Andhra style or hyderabadi style, Madurai style, restaurant style etc.
I have tried quite a lot and ended up concluding this as one of the best chicken 65 recipe. It makes an amazing party appetizer & is a crowd-pleaser.
This recipe is a keeper and I have lost count of how many times I have made this. It has never turned me down even when I make for a crowd.
The unique flavor & delicious taste to this dish comes from my special homemade garlic chili seasoning which I have shared below.
Preparation for chicken 65 recipe
1. Marinate chicken with ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, lemon juice or yogurt , pepper powder or garam masala, turmeric and very little salt.
2. For a restaurant flavor, you can also add very finely chopped curry leaves. Keep it aside for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Overnight makes the chicken chunks super soft.
3. Add corn flour and maida or rice flour.
4. Mix well using very little water or egg. (one egg for half kg chicken. ) If you have used yogurt no need to use egg. But if you have not used yogurt, i suggest using egg since it will locks the meat juices and prevent it from becoming hard when fried. Since i have used yogurt i did not use egg.
5. Heat oil in a pan. Check if the oil is hot enough by dropping a small portion of batter. It must rise without browning too quickly. Then slide the chicken pieces to hot oil and deep fry until golden. When the chicken is cooked fully, bubbles will reduce.
6. Drain them on a kitchen tissue. You can also fry 1 sprig curry leaves for garnish.
How to make chicken 65 recipe
7. This step is optional and you can also add them directly to the pan. Add garlic paste, red chili powder, salt, very little sugar and yogurt or vinegar with 2 tbsp. water to a bowl.
To remove the pungent taste of garlic very little sugar is used but that doesn’t sweeten the dish. Some restaurants use yogurt, some use vinegar. To make andhra style chicken65 use yogurt.
8. Transfer the oil to a bowl from the pan and retain just 1/2 to 1 tbsp. oil. Add garlic, when it is lightly fried add cumin, chilies and curry leaves.
9. When the curry leaves turn crisp, add the mixture we just made above. You can also add all the ingredients directly – garlic paste, red chilli powder, salt, sugar & vinegar with 2 tbsps water. Or skip vinegar & water, just use curd.
10. Allow it to thicken a bit.
11. Add the fried chicken and saute for 2 to 3 minutes to coat the mixture well.
Delicious, juicy chicken starter is ready, serve with onion wedges.
What is chicken 65?
Chicken 65 is a popular deep fried spicy chicken appetizer that originated in Hotel Buhari in Chennai.
This immensely popular South Indian appetizer is made by marinating & frying chicken bites coated with flour, curry leaves and spices.
There are a lot of variations to this dish. The recipe shared here is done by tossing fried chicken bites in a spicy chilli garlic seasoning. Curry leaves & garlic are the key ingredients in this dish.
To make a hyderabadi chicken 65, you can use yogurt for marination as well for seasoning.
To make it street style, you can use egg. But I prefer not to use it since it makes the chunks soggy and smelly once cooled down. This recipe can be made even without yogurt and egg if you desire. The result will still be juicy and soft chicken.
If you make the chicken 65 without egg, then it can be kept for few hours. While there will be no change in the taste and flavor. It can be refrigerated for later use and heated as well. But eating reheated chicken often is not a good idea.
Restaurant style chicken 65 recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 250 grams chicken boneless & tender
- 1 egg white (optional, refer notes)
- 2 tbsp Corn flour
- 1 tbsp rice flour or cornflour
- oil for deep frying
Seasoning for chicken 65
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- ½ tsp garlic chopped
- 2 green chilies sliced
- ½ tsp pepper powder (ground black pepper)
- ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic paste or grated
- ¼ tsp Salt – use as per your taste
- 2 tbsp curd or 1 tsp vinegar with 2 tbsp water
- Add curd, ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, salt, turmeric, pepper powder & chopped curry leaves (optional) to a mixing bowl. Mix & taste it. Add more salt if needed.
- Then stir in the cubed boneless chicken. Mix well. Set aside for at least 45 mins to 1 hour. You can also marinate overnight & pop it in the fridge for best results.
- Sprinkle the dry flour over the marinade. If you chose to use egg, you can add it now. Mix well. If not using egg the marinade may turn dry so sprinkle some water if needed to bind the flour well.
How to make chicken 65
- If using yogurt for seasoning, whisk it well with a fork or whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep pan until hot enough. Test if the oil is hot by dropping a small portion of the batter to the hot oil. The batter must rise without burning a lot.
- Slide in the chicken pieces one by one. Fry on a medium high flame until crisp & golden. When the chicken is done cooking, the bubbles will begin to cease. Drain them on a kitchen tissue.
- Wipe off any moisture on the curry leaves & fry them in the hot oil & set aside for garnishing.
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil. Add cumin, chopped garlic, curry leaves & green chilies. Fry till the leaves turn crisp. Then add garlic paste, red chilli powder, sugar, curd & salt. You can also skip curd & just add 1 tsp vinegar with 2 tbsp water.
- Quickly stir everything well. When the mixture bubbles well & turns thick, add fried chicken and toss well.
- Fry on medium heat till it absorbs all the moisture & coats the chicken. This just takes 2 minutes. Over frying can make the chicken hard. So turn off in time.
- Serve chicken 65 with sliced onions & lemons. Garnish with curry leaves.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes