Bottle gourd curry recipe – One of the easiest bottle gourd recipes from Indian cuisine. Bottle gourd is known as lauki in hindi, sorakaya in telugu, sorakkai in tamil. It is often used in Indian homes to make a variety of dishes like chutney, stew, curry, pachadi, kootu and stir fry. This bottle gourd recipe is easy and quick to prepare, most convenient even for working folks.
I often make quick vegetable stir fry or dry curry recipes to go in the tiffin box and even for dinner. This is one of the delicious and flavorful dish which we love with roti or with rice-rasam or rice-sambar.
Bottle gourd is alkaline in nature and is a very good source of vital nutrients. It promotes digestion as it is high in fiber. Bottle gourd is a low calorie veggie and hence can be eaten often even by those trying to lose weight.
Bottle gourd is a very bland tasting veggie as it consists of over 90% moisture in it. It tastes bland even after cooking so I use this Vepudu karam or spice powder which brings an unique aroma to any dish.
Preparation for bottle gourd recipe
1. Wash gourd under running water. Peel the skin and chop to bite sized pieces.
2. If you wish to make the spice powder then these are the ingredients. You can also skip making this and use peanut podi or even idli podi. You can entirely skip the podi but the taste is very good with this spice powder.
3. Dry roast chana dal, urad dal and red chilies until the dal turns golden. Then add cumin, sesame seeds and dry coconut. Toss until the seeds begin to splutter. Cool and make a fine powder with 1 to 2 garlic cloves. Use as needed in the recipe. Store the remaining powder and use in any veg stir fry recipe.
How to make bottle gourd curry
4. Heat oil in a wide heavy bottomed pan. Add dals, cumin, mustard. When they begin to crackle add curry leaves and chili. Fry till the dals turn golden.
5. Add the gourd, sprinkle salt and turmeric.
6. Fry on a medium to high flame for 3 to 5 mins, keep stirring to prevent burning. Cook covered until tender.
7. When the veggie is cooked add the coconut.
8. Add the spice powder or vepudu karam. Fry till it blends well with the veggie just for a minute or two.
Serve bottle gourd curry with rice and rasam or sambhar
Bottle gourd curry recipe | Sorakkai poriyal | Bottle gourd recipes
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups bottle gourd about 300 grams chopped
- 1 to 2 green chilies slit (optional)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp Oil or as needed
- 1 tsp chana dal or bengal gram or senaga pappu
- 1 tsp urad dal or skinned black gram or minapa Pappu
- 1 to 2 tbsps vepudu karam from here or peanut podi or idli podi (refer notes)
- 1 to 2 tbsps Coconut Grated fresh (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Wash bottle gourd under running water. Peel the skin and chop to bite sized pieces.
- Pour oil to a wide heavy bottomed pan. Then add cumin, mustard, urad dal and chana dal.
- Fry till the dals turn golden.
- Then add curry leaves and chili. Fry till the leaves turn crisp.
- Add the bottle gourd, salt and turmeric.
- Fry on a medium to high flame for 3 to 5 mins, keep stirring to avoid burning.
- If the gourd is not tender or less juicy, cover the pan and cook till the gourd is cooked fully. If it is tender just continue to fry without covering till it is fully done.
- Do not over cook to a mushy texture.
- Add the vepudu karam and coconut. Stir well to mix.
- Serve bottle gourd curry with rice and rasam or sambar. You can also serve with chapati.
Notes on bottle gourd recipeIf you do not have vepudu karam, then use peanut podi or idli podi. If you have none of the above then make vepudu karam following this.
Dry roast 3 red chilies, 1 tbsp chana dal and urad dal until golden. Then add 1 tbsp sesame seeds, 1 tbsp dried coconut and 1 tsp jeera. You can skip sesame and coconut if you do not have. Cool these and powder with 1 to 2 garlic cloves. Use it as needed in the above bottle gourd recipe.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes