Sorakaya perugu pachadi is a Andhra style side dish made with bottle gourd, spices, herbs and yogurt. Sorakaya is the telugu name to bottle gourd. Perugu translates to yogurt and pachadi is a chutney. Sorakaya perugu pachadi is made by cooking bottle gourd until tender. Then it is added to yogurt and tempered with spices & herbs.
Most andhra households make a chutney known as pachadi for their everyday meals. Some times my mom makes this sorakaya perugu pachadi instead of the regular pachadi.
It is healthy, spicy & tastes delicious. We mostly make this during summers.
This is a no onion and no garlic recipe and hence can be prepared for festive meals.
Sorakaya perugu pachadi can accompany rice or chapathi and is quite easy to cook. Use green chilies generously, yes but to suit your tolerance levels.
Bottle gourd is one of the most commonly used veggie in Indian cuisine and is known by different names in regional languages. It is known as lauki in hindi and dudhi in marathi.
It is known as lauki in Hindi and is often used in the north Indian cuisine to make sabzi, lauki halwa & lauki koftas.
- Please taste the bottle gourd before cooking as sometimes the veggie is bitter.
- Sorakaya that tastes bitter is toxic hence should not be consumed.
- Peel the veggie well & discard the green peels.
- We usually cook sorakaya in a pot. However you can also steam it in a cooker. It has to be cooked just until done and not over cooked.
- Use a young and tender gourd as the perugu pachadi tastes better with young veggie.
sorakaya perugu pachadi recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups bottle gourd ,chopped , (use tender bottle gourd)
- 1 ¼ to 1 ½ cups yogurt / curd (use as needed)
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 to 3 green chilies , sliced or chopped
- 1 red chili ,broken , (optional)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp mustard
- 1 Pinch hing
- ½ tsp chana dal (optional)
- ½ tsp urad dal (optional)
- 1 pinch fenugreek powder / menthi podi (optional)
- Coriander leaves as needed.
How to make the recipe
- Wash and peel bottle gourd, chop them to pieces.
- Cook them till tender in a pot with very little water, you can sprinkle more if needed. Try not to use lot of water since we don’t want to drain the nutrients. Set this aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add cumin, mustard and chana dal and urad dal. Fry till the dals turn crunchy. Add sliced ginger, sliced or chopped green chilis, red chili and curry leaves. Fry till the curry leaves turn crisp for about 2 minutes.
- Add hing, turmeric and fenugreek powder to the oil, stir. Add cooked bottle gourd and salt. Transfer this to a plate and let it cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk yogurt with a fork to smooth
- When the seasoned bottle gourd cools down, mix it with the yogurt and add chopped coriander leaves
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.