sorakaya pachadi or bottle gourd chutney recipe.Sorakaya or bottle gourd is considered to be a super coolant hence we avoid it during winters or monsoon except to make this chutney. Since turmeric, sesame seeds, ginger and green chilies are used to make this sorakaya pachadi or bottle gourd chutney, it neutralizes and keeps the body warm.
sorakaya pachadi or bottle gourd chutney can also be made without sesame seeds, ginger and green chilies that is how it is made during summers.
sorakaya pachadi goes well with rice, chapathi, paratha, pongal or dosa, I have not tried it with idli. The consistency can be adjusted to your liking. To have it with dosa or chapathi, may be you will have to thin it down by adding a bit of water while grinding, which I haven’t since we accompanied it with rice.
How to make sorakaya pachadi or bottle gourd chutney
1. Dry roast red chilies, chana dal and urad dal to light golden, to the same pan add sesame seeds and cumin. Toss them for a minute, sesame seeds should get toasted well without getting browned. Transfer to a wide plate and cool.
2. Add a tsp of oil to the same pan, fry green chilies and set side. Add the chopped bottle gourd and fry on a medium flame till the raw smell disappears completely and they wilt off. I did not peel the skin of the sorakaya since it was very tender, didn’t have seeds inside. If there are seeds, i suggest to remove them.
3. Transfer the cooled dals to the chutney jar and move the bottle gourd to the plate and cool.
4. If you don’t like to use tomato, you can skip this step. Add chopped tomato to the pan and sprinkle turmeric and salt and fry till the tomatoes turn completely mushy. Move this to the plate and cool.
5. Powder the dals to a fine powder.
6. Scrape off the sides and add cooled bottle gourd, tomato, green chilies, and ginger.
7. Make a fine or coarse chutney of the mix. My jar did not fit all the gourd at one time, so just added half of this, blended well then added the rest and blended.
8. Heat oil in the same pan, Add mustard cumin, urad dal, broken red chili, garlic. When the dal turns golden, add curry leaves, tamarind paste and hing. Off the stove and add the chutney to the pan and stir.
Serve chutney with rice and ghee or with dosa , chapathi.
sorakaya pachadi or bottle gourd chutney recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups bottle gourd , chopped, small, with skin
- 1 piece ginger ,Small, (thin slice) (do not use too much)
- 2 tsp chana dal / senaga pappu
- 2 tsp Urad dal / minapa pappu
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds
- ½ to ¾ cup tomatoes or tamarind paste or lemon juice as needed
- 2 red chilies
- 3 green chilies or replace with red chilies
- ½ tsp cumin
- Salt as needed
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 to 2 tsps Oil
- 1 Pinch hing
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp mustard
- 1 red chili ,broken
- ½ tsp urad dal
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic , crushed
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Tamarind paste as needed
- soak little tamarind in hot water if you wish to use it. when it is soaked it turns soft. Squeeze and filter it to the pan while seasoning later.
- Wash bottle gourd under running water, If you wish to keep the skin on, scrub it with little sea or crystal salt and then wash off. Chop them to small pieces and measure.
- Heat a pan, dry red chilies, roast chana dal and urad dal lightly golden, add sesame seeds and cumin and toss. Make sure the sesame seeds are toasted well. Set these aside to cool.
- add little oil to the same pan and fry green chilies, set aside. Add bottle gourd , fry till they wilt off and the raw smell disappears. Set these aside separately to cool . To the same pan add tomato, salt and turmeric and fry till the tomatoes turn mushy. set this too to cool.
- Powder finely the dals, sesame seeds, red chilies and cumin.
- Add the green chilies, ginger, bottle gourd and tomato.
- Blend everything well. If needed adjust the salt.
- Add little more oil to the pan, add crushed broken red chili,garlic, mustard, cumin and urad dal. Allow the dal to turn lightly golden. Add curry leaves , hing and tamarind paste.Fry till the leaves turn crisp.
- Add the ground chutney and mix well.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes