sorakaya pappu is a simple dal dish that is prepared in most Andhra homes. Bottle gourd/ lauki and dal are cooked to make a nice tasting side dish. Traditionally it was made by cooking toordal, bottlegourd, tomato, tamarind, red chili powder and onions together and then tempered. The dal is not mashed and looks grainy in such recipe. But somehow we don’t like that kind of a dal and prefer to make a smoother dal that goes great with rice or even with phulka or any roti like ragi roti or multigrain roti.
sorakaya pappu is made with toor dal alone, but i don’t like the quality of toor dal available in Singapore, so I use a mixture of toor dal and moong dal, you can use any dal of your choice. Adding even little moong dal gives a good taste to the sorakaya pappu. You can even cook green chilies along with dal, but I add them during tempering, so that I can set aside my kids portion before adding chili.
Adding tamarind to the tempering gives a good tamarind flavour to the dal that doesn’t come when cooked together with dal.
How to make sorakaya pappu or anapakaya pappu
1. Pressure cook dal and anapakaya pieces with 1 1/2 cups water for 2 whistles.
2. When the pressure goes off, add salt and mash it.
3. Temper with tempering ingredients.
4. Pour the tamarind juice or paste to the pan and allow to bubble.Off the stove.
5. Add it to the anapakaya pappu and mix well. you can smell the tamarind so good.
related recipe : sorakaya kootu
Sorakaya pappu recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Tempering ingredients for sorakaya pappu
- 1 to 2 tbsp Oil or ghee as needed
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- ½ tsp mustard
- Pinch asafoetida or hing
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- 3 green chilies slit
- 1 red chili broken
- ¼ tsp ginger grated (optional)
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- Wash dal and add 1 ½ cups water to a pressure cooker or a pot.
- Wash and peel the skin off from sorakaya. Cube them. Add them to the cooker or pot. If you wish you can add green chilies too.
- On a medium flame, pressure cook for 2 whistles if cooking directly in the cooker or for 3 to 4 whistles, if you are cooking in a bowl and placing it in the cooker. The dal and bottle gourd has to be cooked until soft.
- When the pressure goes off, add salt and mash the dal with the back of the ladle. Set aside.
- While the dal cooks soak tamarind in ¼ cup hot water. Squeeze the tamarind pulp. Set this aside.
Making sorakaya pappu or lauki dal
- Heat a pan with ghee or oil. Add mustard, cumin and red chili.
- When they splutter, add grated ginger, crushed garlic, green chili and then the curry leaves. Fry till you begin to get a good aroma.
- Add hing and turmeric.
- Pour the tamarind water to a filter and add it to the pan. If you don’t mind you can add the pulp as it is. Let it begin to bubble.
- Pour this to the mashed dal. Stir well. Turn off the heat.
- Serve sorakaya pappu with rice or roti.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Chopped tomatoes can also be used, they can be added to the dal and bottle gourd and pressure cooked
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes