Cabbage curry recipe – A simple cabbage masala curry made with cabbage, peas & spices. Cabbage is used to make a variety of Indian recipes like paratha, curry, stir fry, raita, kootu, chutney, vada, soup, salad and kofta. This cabbage curry recipe is very basic and is made with almost pantry staples.
If you are trying to eat healthy then this will be a good addition to your weekly menu. It is not only healthy, simple & quick to make but also tastes delicious. This simple cabbage curry goes very well with plain steamed rice, roti, chapati. You can also use it in sandwiches and wraps. This goes well in tiffin box too.
If you are new to cooking, then these tips will help you to prepare cabbage.
- I always prefer to cut & wash cabbage well so that the leaves get a good rinse from inside. But there are a lot of sources mention that it can be very well used after giving a good rinse outside.
- Ensure you drain the cabbage completely before cooking otherwise it turns mushy.
- Never cook cabbage on a low flame as it begins to release moisture and turn mushy.
- Using peas in this recipe is optional. You may skip them.
Simple cabbage curry recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 tbsp oil or as needed
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ginger or ginger garlic paste or grated
- 1 large onion thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 large tomato finely chopped (optional)
- salt as needed
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¾ tsp garam masala or sambar powder as needed
- ¼ cup green peas or 2 tbsp chana dal (soaked and cooked)
- 2 to 3 cups cabbage chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
How to make the recipe
- Remove the outer leaves of cabbage and cut to quarters.
- Warm 4 to 6 cups water in a large pot. The water should be warm. Turn off the stove.
- Keep the cabbage in this water and leave for 3 to 4 mins.
- Discard the water and rinse them a few times in fresh water. Drain the cabbage completely.
- Chop the cabbage and set aside. Alternately, chop the cabbage and add to salted warm water. Drain off and set aside.
- Ensure the water is completely drained from the cabbage otherwise it will turn mushy.
Making cabbage curry
- Add oil to a hot. When the oil turns hot, add mustard and cumin.
- When they begin to sizzle, add ginger garlic and fry till it turns aromatic.
- Add sliced onions and fry till they turn transparent. Transfer tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Fry until the tomatoes turn mushy and soft.
- Add spice powders and fry for a minute for the raw smell to go away. Next add green peas and then saute for a minute.
- Next add chopped and drained cabbage. Stir for the masala to coat the cabbage well and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fry until the cabbage is cooked to your liking. Sprinkle Coriander leaves. Serve cabbage curry with rice or roti.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
1. Pour oil to a hot pan. Then add cumin and mustard. When they begin to splutter, add ginger garlic paste or grated ginger. Fry until the raw smell disappears. You can also add ginger garlic paste after frying onions.
2. Add onions and fry until they turn transparent.
3. Next add in tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Fry until the tomatoes turn completely mushy and soft.
4. Add red chili powder, garam masala. Fry for one to two minutes without burning. I usually add some curry leaves here along with spice powders, this time i didn’t use since i didn’t have. Before proceeding to the next step, make sure the raw smell of tomatoes has completely gone.
5. Transfer green peas and saute for a minute. You can use fresh/ frozen peas. Dried peas or chana dal can also be used to make this curry. Soak dried peas for about 10 to 12 hours. If using chana dal soak for one hour, cook and use here.
How to make cabbage curry
6. Add cabbage. Ensure cabbage is drained completely before adding it to the pan.
7. Mix everything till the masala coats the cabbage well. Fry for about 2 to 3 minutes.
8. If the cabbage is very tender and young, cook without covering. If it is too dry then cover and cook until it is done. It may release a lot of moisture and make the curry mushy. Cabbage should be crunchy yet partially cooked and not mushy.
9. Add coriander leaves and stir well.
Serve cabbage curry with rice or roti.