Make the best veg spring rolls just like your favorite Chinese restaurant or café. Spring rolls are a popular appetizer from the Chinese cuisine and is an Asian favorite. In Asian countries you will find these pretty much everywhere from upscale restaurants to food courts, small cafes and hawker shops. These flaky crisp spring rolls are filled with lightly seasoned crunchy vegetables & sometimes even meat is added. In this post I share the simplest way to make yummy vegetable springs rolls that can be deep-fried or baked.
About Spring Rolls
Spring roll is a traditional Chinese savory snack where a pastry sheet is filled with vegetables, rolled & fried. Spring vegetables like cabbage, spring onions and carrots are used for the filling. Since traditionally they were made during the spring festival with spring vegetables, they are known as spring rolls.
This centuries old Chinese food travelled all over Asia and has become a popular snack in almost every Asian Country. Today you will find numerous versions of these rolls made in various countries. Some have meat or eggs along with vegetables. There are also sweet versions and some don’t need cooking at all.
However the vegetable spring rolls made with the frozen spring roll wrappers are hugely popular and are served in most Chinese restaurants and cafes. For some reason in a lot of places you will find the vegetarian version which is also vegan. These are served with various kinds of sauces.
About My Recipe
My recipe will help you make the best tasting crispy veg spring rolls using store bought frozen wrappers. The frozen sheets are easily available in the Asian stores and a lot of times even in the Indian stores.
My recipe requires easily available vegetables like cabbage, carrots, spring onions and bell peppers. Some places also use bean sprouts, rice noodles, mushrooms, eggs, shrimp and even other kinds of ground or shredded meat.
These spring rolls make a fantastic appetizer, so you may consider including them in your menu if you are inviting your family or hosting your friends over the weekend. We personally love serving them with Asian sweet and hot red chilli sauce or with this homemade spicy Schezwan Sauce.
A lot of people also have these with a cup of their favorite drink on the side – black tea, coffee, Teh or even with Masala chai. You can also serve these as a side in a Chinese meal consisting of stir fried Vegetable Noodles or noodles soup or Fried Rice etc.
Spring rolls can be made with homemade spring roll wrappers or with readymade frozen sheets. The homemade wrappers do not turn out as good as the readymade sheets.
Since the store bought sheets are machine made, they are uniform and thin. That gives a great crust after they are fried. You can find frozen sheets made with rice flour, wheat flour and plain flour too. I use the wheat flour wrappers and they are preservative free.
I use this Chinese Stir fried Cabbage recipe that makes a very delicious filling. If you have any leftover filling you can also use it for your wraps or sandwiches. There are no noodles used in this recipe. But if you like to then use about 1 cup of cooked noodles or half cake.
How to Make Spring Rolls (Stepwise photos)
Prepare the filling
1. Heat oil in a wok or pan. The entire filling has to be cooked on a high flame. Saute spring onions just for a minute.
2. Next add shredded cabbage, carrots & capsicum. You can add bean if you like and can even skip capsicum. The restaurant rolls I ate in Singapore never had beans in them.
3. Saute until the veggies are half done yet crunchy. Add soya sauce.
4. Pour vinegar.
5. Next add spring onions, pepper and very less salt. There is also salt in soya sauce and even in wrappers as well. So take care not to add too much. Turn off the stove and set aside to cool.
Make Spring Rolls
6. Follow the instructions on the pack to remove the individual wrappers. I usually place a wet cloth on the bunch of wrappers for 5 to 7 mins. They begin to come out easily when pulled. Place one on the work area. Place the stuffing as you see in the pics.
7. Begin to roll one of the edge wrapping the edge as you see in the pic.
8. Next bring the other side to the center.
9. Repeat that on the other side as well. Dampen the wrapper on the edges.
10. Roll it tightly towards the left over edge.
11. Seal it completely. Finally keep it covered with a damp cloth.
12. Repeat making the same way until you finish the filling. Keep them covered until you fry.
Fry Veg Spring Rolls
13. Heat oil in a deep pan until hot. You can drop a tiny piece of a wrapper to the hot oil to check. It will rise if the oil is hot enough. Keep stirring for even frying.
14. When golden, transfer them to a kitchen tissue.
Serve veg spring rolls with ketchup, Red chilli sauce or Schezwan sauce or tea.
Recipe 2 – Healthy baked vegetable spring roll recipe
spring roll pastry sheets 12
1 tsp. oil
1 tsp. sesame seeds optional
For the stuffing
1 tbsp. oil
¼ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. chopped garlic or ginger garlic paste
½ tsp. red chili powder
¼ tsp. garam masala or coriander and cumin powder
Pinch of pepper powder
Few coriander leaves
¼ cup of chopped spring onions or regular onions
2 green chilies (optional)
¼ cup of bell peppers
1 cup of crumbled cheddar cheese or paneer or boiled potatoes
¼ cup of chopped carrots
2 tbsp. green peas
Preparation for baked spring roll recipe
1. Heat a pan with oil. Add cumin, garlic or ginger garlic and sauté till it becomes fragrant. Add all the veggies and stir fry on high for 3 to 4 mins.
2. Add all the other ingredients mentioned under stuffing and mix well. The stuffing is ready. Preheat oven at 220 C at least for 15 mins.
3. Place a damp cloth over the frozen sheets for 5 mins. They begin to come out easily when you pull out. Replace the damp cloth on the rest of the sheets.
4. Next place a sheet and add the stuffing as shown in the picture.
5. Roll one edge towards the filling. And continue to roll till the center.
6. Bring the other 2 sides to the center and place them.
7. Continue to roll. Apply the flour mix over the edges and gently press it over the roll to seal.
8. This way, finish rolling all. Brush them with a generous amount of oil evenly. Sprinkle some sesame seeds and place them on a parchment paper or greased foil.
How to bake spring rolls in oven
9. Bake them for 12 to 15 mins. I do not flip them to the other sides, mine gets baked evenly on all the sides.
These can also be shallow fried or deep fried too.
Serve vegetable spring rolls with your favorite sauce or dip.
Spring Roll Recipe | Vegetable Spring Rolls
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
For the Filling
- 3 cups cabbage shredded
- 1 medium carrot about ½ cup shredded
- ¼ cup bell pepper or capsicum julienned
- 2 sprigs spring onions (white & green separated)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon Rice vinegar
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder
- salt (if needed)
- 1 cup cooked noodles or half noodle cake (optional)
For Veg Spring Rolls
- 6 spring roll wrappers frozen
- 1 cup oil for deep frying or 1 tbsp oil for baking
- Add oil to a hot pan and saute spring onion whites.
- Add all the veggies except onion greens.
- Fry on a high flame until half done yet crunchy.
- Add soya sauce and vinegar. Mix well.
- Add onion greens, pepper and very little salt. Mix and off the stove.
- If you wish to use noodles, boil them al dente. Rinse well and drain completely. Add them to the stir fried veggies and fry for a min. Pour 1 tsp more soya sauce. Sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- Cool this completely.
How to make spring rolls
- Place a damp cloth over the frozen sheets for 5 to 7 mins or follow the instructions mentioned on the pack.
- Spread one wrapper, place a spoonful of stuffing.
- Roll one edge towards the inner side covering the stuffing.
- Bring the sides to the center. Dampen the left over edge and roll the wrapper to seal.
- Keep them covered otherwise they will dry up..
- Heat oil until hot enough. To check drop a small piece of wrapper in the oil.
- If the oil is hot enough It rises in the oil without browning.
- Add the rolls in hot oil and fry evenly by stirring until golden. Remove them on kitchen tissue.
- Serve vegetable spring rolls hot with ketchup.
Baking veg spring rolls
- Preheat the oven at 220 C for at least 15 minutes.
- Brush the spring rolls generously with some oil.
- Place them on a greased tray and bake for 12 to 13 mins.
- Even a wired rack works well. If needed flip them and bake for another 6 mins.
- Serve spring rolls hot with any sauce.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills. More about me
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes