Cabbage rice recipe – A very simple fried rice made using only cabbage and peas. This cabbage rice tastes very delicious with very good flavors of fried cabbage and garlic. Made without the use of any sauces, this would really surprise anyone with its unique flavor and taste that comes from the tender-crisp fried cabbage.
Sometimes I cook my food in the most unusual ways and this is one of them. You don’t need anything else with this. If you eat eggs, then you can use it as well.
I make this often at home using cabbage alone and with no other veggies as this really doesn’t need any other additions. This time I used green peas only to make it a bit colorful which can be skipped.
Making this cabbage rice is quick if you have some precooked and cooled rice. I usually cook it fresh and cool.
You can cook the rice in a cooker or pot. Please note that the cooked rice has to be al dente or grainy and not mushy.
How to make cabbage fried rice
1. Cut cabbage to quarters and blanch them in salted warm water for about 10 to 15 mins. Rinse them in fresh water several times. Drain water completely. Remove the core and the tough parts.
Chop to slices and then chop as desired. A food processor eases the work, if you have one you can use it. To make a good fried rice, make sure there is no dripping water in the chopped cabbage otherwise it will turn mushy. Set this aside.
2. Wash, soak and cook rice al dente and cool it completely. Do not over cook and make the rice mushy.
3. Add olive oil to a hot wok or pan. Use a wide pan if you do not have a wok, a small pan may not be a good choice to fry cabbage.
4. Add slit deseeded chili and garlic. Fry until garlic smells good. I also add a small star anise and a single strand of mace, they add a very good flavor to the rice. Use enough chilies for the heat else the rice tastes bland.
5. Make sure the flame is set to high. When the garlic turns fragrant, add cabbage and peas. If you like to use onions, you can add them first and saute until they turn pink.
6. Fry for 2 to 3 mins. Add vinegar.
7. Continue to fry until the cabbage turns slightly golden and tender yet crisp. This takes only 2 to 3 mins. Cabbage begins to smell very good now.
8. Pour soya sauce (optional). Add rice, sprinkle salt and pepper.
9. Mix everything well and fry for 2 to 3 mins. If making for lunch box, i suggest not to over fry. Just a minute of frying is enough.
Delicious cabbage fried rice is ready.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups cabbage chopped
- ¼ cup Green peas (optional)
- 2 green chilies (deseeded & slit)
- 1½ tbsp olive oil or any oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic chopped finely
- ½ to ¾ tsp rice vinegar (or apple vinegar)
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp black pepper (crushed)
- 1 to 2 tsps soya sauce (optional)
- Wash rice well until the water runs clear. Drain completely.
- Cook it with 1 cup water in a pot. Rice must be cooked al dente, grainy and not mushy. Cool completely.
- Cut quartered cabbage to slices and then chop. Set aside.
How to make cabbage rice
- Heat a wok with oil on a high heat. Saute garlic and chilies until fragrant. I also add a star anise and a strand of mace for flavor. This is optional.
- Add cabbage and peas. Fry for 2 to 3 mins on the highest flame. Add vinegar.
- Saute for few more mins until the cabbage turns slightly golden yet crunchy.
- Pour soya sauce. Add rice, pepper and salt.
- Mix and fry for another 1 to 2 mins.
- Serve cabbage rice hot or warm.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes