Cabbage rice recipe – A very simple fried rice made using only cabbage and peas. This cabbage rice tastes very delicious with very good flavors of fried cabbage and garlic. Made without the use of any sauces, this would really surprise anyone with its unique flavor and taste that comes from the tender-crisp fried cabbage. Sometimes I cook my food in the most unusual ways and this is one of them.
I make this often at home using cabbage alone and with no other veggies as this really doesn’t need any other additions. This time i used green peas only to make it a bit colorful which can be skipped.
Making this cabbage rice is quick if you have some precooked and cooled rice. I usually cook it fresh and cool.
You can cook the rice in a cooker or pot. Please note that the cooked rice has to be al dente or grainy and not mushy.
You may also like to check these cabbage recipes. Some of the quick and healthy recipes are this cabbage curry recipe, andhra style cabbage stir fry, Chinese style cabbage stir fry, South Indian cabbage kootu.
Cabbage rice (Cabbage fried rice)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup rice (uncooked)
- 2 cups cabbage chopped
- ¼ cup Green peas (optional)
- 2 green chilies (deseeded)
- 1 tbsp olive oil or any oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic chopped finely
- ¾ tsp vinegar
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp Pepper crushed
Flavoring – optional
- ½ star anise
- 1 strand mace or javitri
How to make the recipe
- Wash rice well until the water runs clear. Drain completely.
- Cook it with 1 cup water in a pot. Rice must be cooked al dente, grainy and not mushy. Cool completely.
- Cut quartered cabbage to slices and then chop. Set aside.
How to make cabbage rice
- Heat a wok with oil on a high heat. Saute garlic, chilies, mace and star anise until fragrant.
- Add cabbage and peas. Fry for 2 to 3 mins on the highest flame. Add vinegar.
- Saute for few more mins until the cabbage turns slightly golden.
- Add rice, pepper and salt.
- Mix and fry for another 1 to 2 mins.
- Serve cabbage rice hot or warm with a veggies salad.
1. Cut cabbage to quarters and blanch them in salted warm water for about 10 to 15 mins. Rinse them in fresh water several times. Drain water completely. Remove the core and the tough parts.
Chop to slices and then chop as desired. A food processor eases the work, if you have one you can use it. To make a good fried rice, make sure there is no dripping water in the chopped cabbage otherwise it will turn mushy. Set this aside.
2. Wash, soak and cook rice al dente and cool it completely. Do not over cook and make the rice mushy.
Making cabbage rice
3. Add olive oil to a hot wok or pan. Use a wide pan if you do not have a wok, a small pan may not be a good choice to fry cabbage.
4. Add slit deseeded chili, garlic, star anise and a single strand of mace. Saute until garlic smells good. Do not skip star anise and mace, they add a very good flavor to the rice. Use enough chilies for the heat else the rice may taste bland.
5. Make sure the flame is set to high. When the garlic turns fragrant, add cabbage and peas. If you like to use onions, you can add them first and saute until they turn pink.
6. Saute for 2 to 3 mins. Add vinegar.
7. Continue to saute until the cabbage turns slightly golden and tender but crisp yet. This takes only 2 to 3 mins. Cabbage begins to smell very good now.
8. Add rice, sprinkle salt and pepper.
9.Mix everything well and fry for 2 to 3 mins. If making for lunch box, i suggest not to over fry. Just a minute of frying is enough.
Delicious cabbage fried rice is ready.