Schezwan fried rice recipe – A veg fried rice recipe from Indo chinese cuisine and is quite popular on the restaurant menus. It is mildly hot and flavored with unique blend of sauces. To make schezwan fried rice, sichuan or schezwan peppers are used which gives that unique citrus flavor to the dish. But in India, one can find dishes without that flavor since sichuan peppers are not available in many places.
This post shows you how to make schezwan fried rice without using ready made schezwan sauce. Usually red chillies are soaked in warm water and blended to make the red chili paste. But if you do not have red chilies or do not want to blend them, then just use red chilli powder the same way i have used in this post.
But do note that the taste of the red chilies is much superior than the powder in the sauce. If you want to make your own sauce then you can check this Schezwan sauce recipe
Easy schezwan fried rice recipe
Schezwan fried rice recipe | How to make veg schezwan fried rice
Easy schezwan fried rice recipe that's made of spicy and hot schezwan sauce. This recipe is simple to make for a quick meal anytime.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for schezwan fried rice
- 1½ cups rice uncooked (any premium quality)
- ¼ cup spring onions or onions
- ¾ cup carrots chopped (optional)
- ¾ cup beans chopped (optional)
- ¾ cup capsicum chopped or bell peppers
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tbsp sugar
- salt as needed
Ingredients for sauce or use 2 to 3 tbsp schezwan sauce
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 2 tbsp celery chopped finely (optional)
- 1½ tbsp soya sauce
- ½ to ¾ tbsp vinegar
- 10 schezwan pepper corn (or 1/4 tsp pepper powder)
- 1 tbsp red chili paste or red chilli powder or 8 to 12 red chilies (less spicy)
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped
- 2 to 3 tbsps water to cook the sauce
How to make the recipe
Preparation for veg schezwan fried rice
Wash rice and soak for 20 to 30 mins.
Cook it till aldente in the regular way you would cook rice. But make sure it is not mushy.
While the cooked rice cools completely, proceed further.
Make the red chili paste ready either by soaking the red chilies and then blending them. Or by using red chili powder to make a fine paste with water.
Make sauce - or use 2 tbsp ready schezwan sauce
Pour oil to a hot pan and fry ginger garlic till they smell good.
Next add onions and fry until golden.
Stir in salt, sugar, red chili paste and pepper corns as well. Cook until the sauce thickens. Pour little water and cook further to bring out the flavors.
- When the sauce thickens, pour vinegar and soya sauce. Remove to a plate and set aside until needed.
How to make schezwan fried rice
- To the same pan, add little more oil.
- On a high flame, fry veggies until half cooked yet crunchy.
Next add sauce, rice and spring onions too. Adjust the salt and spice as needed.
- Mix and Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Serve schezwan fried rice hot or warm with any Indo chinese side.
Preparation for schezwan fried rice recipe
1. Wash, soak and cook rice till al dente. It must be grainy and not mushy. Next set aside to cool it.
2. Soak about 8 to 10 deseeded red chilies in little warm water for 15 minutes and then make a fine paste in a blender jar along with the water. I like to use red chili powder just to skip the lengthy process of soaking and blending. To make that, add good quality red chili powder to a small bowl. Then pour very little water. Stir and make a fine paste.
Making sauce for schezwan fried rice
Skip until step 10 if you already have the sauce and want to use it.
3. Fry ginger and garlic in hot oil until it turns aromatic.
4. Next add finely chopped onions.
5. Fry until the onions turn golden. If using celery add in and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
6. Next stir in soya sauce, red chilli paste, sugar and salt as well.
7. Add crushed sichuan pepper. If you do not have replace with black pepper.
8. Saute furthermore till it thickens.
9. Pour water and stir again. Cooking further brings out the flavor of onions and pepper.
10. Cook until it thickens. Set the sauce aside until needed.
How to make schezwan fried rice recipe
11. To the same pan, add some more oil. Next on a high flame stir fry chopped veggies except green spring onions and capsicum too. Fry until they are half cooked yet crunchy.
12. Add capsicum. Stir and fry until they are half done but not soft.
13. Time to include the spring onion greens and the sauce as well that we set aside.
14. Add rice, a bit of oil and salt. We have already added salt before, so use only as needed.
15. Stir and fry further for 2 to 3 minutes. If making for later use or for packing in lunch box, then just mix and do not fry longer.
Serve hot and spicy veg schezwan fried rice with any Indo chinese side dish.