Cabbage paratha recipe – an healthy and easy vegetable paratha recipe with step by step photos. Cabbage paratha goes good as a breakfast or in kids lunch box as well. It can be served with dal, chutney or a simple curry or raita. I have used only cabbage to make this paratha, but a boiled potato goes well too. If you have kids who love the taste of potato in paratha then you can use it. After kneading the dough, it needs to sit for about 15 to 20 minutes. The resting time can be skipped by using a boiled potato.
You can find more paratha recipes here on the blog.
How to make cabbage paratha
1. Wash cabbage under running water. Cut it to 4 quarters and soak in warm salted water for about 10 minutes. Any worms in the cabbage will make way to the water. Discard and rinse cabbage well. Grate it finely. I used only 2 quarters that came up to 2 cups finely grated cabbage. If you have a food processor, you can grate it using the appropriate attachment. Knead the dough too in the same jar after changing to a kneading hook.
2. Add all the ingredients to a bowl except oil and ghee. Knead everything well using very little water or as needed.
3. Add little oil.
4. Knead to a soft pliable dough. Set this aside for about 20 minutes.
5. If the dough turns sticky due to the juices in cabbage, just sprinkle little more dough and knead it. Sprinkle flour over the rolling area. Make 10 equal size balls. Flatten and sprinkle flour over the ball and begin to roll using a rolling pin.
6. Roll to a evenly round shaped paratha. Sprinkle flour as needed. Do not use too much of flour as it tends to make the paratha floury. Finish making all the paratha.
7. Heat a tawa on a medium high flame. Place the cabbage paratha on the hot tawa and toast it. When you see bubbles coming up on the paratha, flip to the other side.
8. Toast it to and fro on both the sides until well cooked and brown spots begin to appear. Smear ghee over the paratha as needed. Stack to keep them soft. Clean up the tawa with a kitchen tissue after toasting each paratha to remove any dry flour.
Serve cabbage paratha with dal, chutney, raita or curry.
Cabbage paratha recipe
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- Wash cabbage under running water. Cut to quarters and soak them in warm salted water for about 10 minutes. Drain off and rinse well again.
- Grate cabbage finely.
- To a bowl, add all the ingredients except oil and ghee. Begin to knead , use water as needed only.
- Add oil and knead it to a smooth pliable dough. Cover and set this aside for about 20 minutes.
- Make 10 equal sized balls. It the dough turns sticky, add little flour and knead it. Flour the rolling area.
- Sprinkle flour over the ball and begin to roll to make a even paratha. Sprinkle flour as needed, using too much can make the paratha hard. Finish rolling all the balls.
- Heat a tawa on a moderately high flame or heat. Place a paratha over the hot tawa.
- When you see small bubbles, flip it to the other side and toast it till lightly brown spots appear.
- Apply ghee over the paratha when it is done.
- Serve hot paratha with a simple dal and salad.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes