Chana paneer – Sharing a simple and delicious paneer recipe with chickpeas or chana. This gravy side dish goes well with plain basmathi rice, jeera rice, roti, ajwain paratha or plain paratha. I make chana and paneer often for the kids’ & husband’s lunch box. I make this paneer chana to a gravy consistency if eating at home. If making for lunch box, I make it a semi dry curry along with a vegetable salad to go with roti. Both ways it tastes good.
Easy chana paneer recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for chana paneer
- ½ cup chickpeas or chana or 1 ½ cups soaked chana
- 1 cup water cook chana
- 1 pinch soda
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- 1 cup paneer about 150 grams (or crumbled)
- ¾ cup onions cubed & puree or finely chopped
- 1 ¼ cup tomatoes deseeded & chopped or pureed
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp garam masala or ( ½ tsp garam masala + ½ coriander powder)
- ¾ tsp red chili powder
- 1 green chili slit
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp kasuri methi crushed
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
How to make the recipe
Preparation for chana paneer
- Wash and soak chickpeas overnight. Pressure cook or soft cook them in a pot with a pinch of soda, water and turmeric. If pressure cooking, do it on a medium heat for 1 whistle.
Making chana paneer
- Add oil to a pan and heat it. Saute cumin for a minute. Saute ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes off.
- Add onion chopped or paste. Saute until golden. Add chopped tomatoes or pureed. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chili powder, garam masala and salt.
- Saute until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Make sure the raw smell of onions and tomatoes has gone completely.
- Add cooked chana along with the left over stock. Stir and adjust the consistency by adding more water if needed. Cover and simmer until the gravy thickens. If you prefer a semi dry curry, evaporate the moisture by cooking further on a medium flame.
- Add paneer and kasuri methi. Stir and cook just for a minute. Switch off. Add coriander leaves and keep covered.
- Serve chana paneer with roti or rice and a salad.
Preparation for chana paneer
1. Wash chana few times and soak them overnight. Cook them with a pinch of soda, turmeric & water just enough to cover. I cooked in a pressure cooker for 1 whistle on a medium heat, you can also cook them in pot with more water.
2. While the chana cooks, chop or make a fine paste of onions and deseeded tomatoes separately.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Saute cumin in hot oil.
4. Saute ginger garlic paste until a nice aroma comes out. Do not burn it.
5. Add chopped onions or paste.
6. Saute until golden.
7. Add chopped tomatoes or puree. Saute for 3 to 4 mins.
8. Add garam masala powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt.
9. Saute until the mixture begins to leave the sides.
How to make chana paneer
10. Add cooked chana along with the stock.
11. Stir and cook.
12. Simmer with the pan covered on a low flame for 3 to 4 mins.
13. When the gravy turns thick, add panir and kasuri methi. If you prefer to make a semi dry curry, evaporate the water by cooking further on a slightly high flame. Then add panir.
14. Mix everything. Add chopped coriander leaves and switch off the stove after a minute. Keep covered. Do not over cook.