Methi paneer recipe – a healthy and home style easy paneer recipe made with fenugreek leaves i.e methi leaves. It can be served with roti, naan or plain paratha. It also goes good with any flavored rice like plain biryani rice, jeera rice, ghee rice or veg pulao. To keep this methi paneer recipe simple, I have not used cashews or cream like in the methi malai paneer. This gravy tastes good and is light without the addition of nuts. To make a rich gravy, just add in some cream or cashew paste.
For more simple Paneer recipes, you can check
Tawa paneer masala
Methi paneer recipe
Methi paneer recipe | How to make methi paneer recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 to 3 tbsps Oil
- 1 tsp ginger chopped or ½ tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic chopped or ½ tsp garlic paste
- 1 cup onions cubed
- ¾ cup tomatoes , chopped, (do not choose very sour tomatoes)
- Salt as needed
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ¾ tsp garam masala (adjust as needed)
- 1 cup fenugreek leaves , heaped / methi (comes up to ¾ cup chopped)
- 2 cups paneer , heaped, about 250 grams
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- 2 green cardamoms / elaichi
- 8 Cashews made to paste or 2 to 3 tbsps cream
How to make the recipe
- Pluck methi leaves and soak them in a large utensil filled with water. Drain off and set aside.
- Add oil to a hot pan, fry ginger garlic till they smell good. Add onions and fry till lightly golden.
- Add tomatoes and sprinkle salt. Fry till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add red chili powder and garam masala. If using cashews they can be added now.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes till the masala smells good.
- Switch off the stove. Cool this and blend with little water to a smooth puree.
- In the same pan, saute methi leaves for 2 minutes.
- Add paneer and saute for another 2 minutes. Set this aside.
- Add little more oil to the same pan, add cumin and cardamom. When they sizzle, add the onion tomato puree. Add more water as needed to bring it to a gravy consistency.
- Bring it a boil and allow to cook well until the gravy thickens. you will see traces of oil on the gravy.
- Add the methi paneer that was set aside.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on a medium flame.
- Do not over cook otherwise paneer turns rubbery. If you desire add in 2 to 3 tbsps of cream.
- Transfer methi paneer to a serving bowl.
step by step photos on methi paneer recipe
1. Heat oil in a pan, fry chopped ginger garlic (or paste) till they begin to smell good.
2. Fry onions until they turn lightly golden.
3. Add finely chopped ripe tomatoes and sprinkle salt. Fry until they turn mushy and completely blend well with onions.
4. Add red chilli powder and garam masala. I didn’t use cashews, they can be added now. Lightly roast them.
5. Stir and fry for about 2 minutes. Set this aside to cool.
6. Pluck and wash methi leaves in large pot filled with water. Rinse few more times to clean thoroughly.
7. Chop them finely and add to the hot pan and fry until they wilt. Takes about 2 minutes.
8. Add paneer and fry for another 2 to 3 minutes.
9. While the paneer is frying, add the cooled onion tomato mixture to a blender jar along with water and blend till smooth.
10. Set aside the paneer. Add little oil to the same pan. fry cumin and cardamom.
11. Pour the blended puree along with little water to the pan. Add water as needed to bring it to the consistency. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or till the gravy thickens.
12. Add the paneer and mix. Adjust spice and salt as needed now.
13. Cook for 3 minutes. Prevent over cooking to keep the paneer soft. Add in cream if you desire.
Transfer methi paneer to a serving bowl.