Ridge gourd is one of the most nutritious and easily digestible vegetable and is very commonly used in the South Indian cuisine. It is called as beerakaya in telugu and heerekai in kannada. This ridge gourd curry tastes great with roti/ chapathi and even puri,can also be had with rice.If you are looking for a gravy recipe then this might be the one for you.
Ridge gourd curry is prepared in many ways at home. The recipe iam sharing here uses chettinad masala, one of the most popular south indian masalas. This may not be a traditional chettinad masala, but lends a good flavor to the curry.Since poppy seeds are not available here in singapore, i used peanuts.
Ridge gourd curry recipe below
Ridge gourd curry recipe | Beerakai kura | Heerekai palya recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 500 grams ridge gourd tender , (skin peeled and cut to small pieces)
- 3 onions medium size , chopped finely
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tomato large, chopped
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp Oil
to roast and grind
- ¼ cup coconut grated , (fresh or dry, any)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp saunf
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 4 cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 pod star flower (not a full flower)
- 6 cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds or peanuts
- 4 red chilies Kashmiri
How to make the recipe
- Dry roast the ingredients mentioned under “to roast & grind”. Cool them and grind with water to a smooth thick paste and set aside.
Making ridge gourd curry
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard, cumin, curry leaves and green chilies. Allow them to splutter.
- Add onions and fry them till they turn golden brown.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Fry till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add ridge gourd, fry for a min. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Gourd releases moisture, add the ground masala, fry well for two to three minutes and add 1 cup of water.
- Cover and cook till the gourd is soft cooked and tender.
- Open the lid and cook till you get the desired consistency.
- Serve ridge gourd curry with rice or chapathi
step by step photos of making ridge gourd curry
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard, cumin , when they begin to splutter add curry leaves, chilies and onions. Fry till the onions turn transparent.
2. Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric and fry till the tomatoes completely turn mushy.
3. Add the ridge gourd and fry for one to 2 mins and cook covered until it begin to release moisture, for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the ground masala and fry or cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add water and cook till the gourd is soft and tender cooked.
Serve hot with chapathi, rice or roti.