Beerakaya fry recipe – Simple, delicious & healthy recipe of beerakaya or ridge gourd. This vegetable is also known as luffa, heerekayi in kannada, peerkangai in tamil and turai in hindi. It is well-known for the health benefits it provides. It is high in fiber, vitamins and is said to keep the sugar levels in control when consumed regularly. It aids in good digestive system and is easily digestible even in babies.
I am sharing a simple andhra style beerakaya fry recipe that is called as beerakaya vepudu in telugu. This is one of those delicious stir fry that is an every day side dish eaten with rice & ghee. Each home has their own recipe to make this stir fry or vepudu.
The recipe shared here is not a traditional version but it is the way I make at home for my family.
If you have never tried vepudu karam from my blog, do try it. It is a mix of sesame seeds, roasted dals, coconut and other simple ingredients. It adds a good aroma and taste to the everyday simple vegetable stir fry.
Always choose tender and juicy gourd, it tastes great in whatever way you cook. Coconut and vepudu karam are the two taste enhancers I prefer to make this beerakaya fry.
This stir fry goes well with rice or even with chapathi too, since this recipe yields a moist dry curry. If you have young fussy kids, do use roasted peanuts and coconut, most kids will love them.
This makes a very good side dish for the lunch box to accompany roti or chapathi.
Beerakaya fry recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 250 grams ridge gourd or beerakaya (tender)
- 1 tbsp Oil
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 ½ tsp chana dal or bengal gram
- 1 ½ tsp urad dal or skinned black gram
- 1 Pinch hing optional
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 red chili broken
- salt as needed
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 to 2 tbsps coconut optional
- 1 tbsp peanuts Roasted and skinned , (optional)
To roast & powder or 1 tbsp idli podi or sambar powder
- ¾ tbsp chana dal
- ¾ tbsp urad dal
- ¾ tbsp dried coconut
- ¾ tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 red chilies
How to make beerakaya fry
- Wash the beerakaya under running water, brush it well since we are using the skin too. Wash well. Devein and chop to bite sized pieces.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard, cumin, dals, and fry till the dals turn golden
- Add curry leaves, red chili and garlic. Fry till the curry leaves turn crisp. Sprinkle hing.
- Then add beerakaya, sprinkle turmeric and fry for about 2 to 3 minutes stirring.
- Reduce the flame to low to medium and fry till beerakaya is cooked completely. If your gourd is not tender and juicy. You can sprinkle water, cover and cook.
- On another burner, dry roast chana dal, urad dal & red chilies until dal turns golden. Then add sesame seeds, coconut, cumin & garlic. Roast on a low heat until the sesame turns aromatic. Do not over fry. Cool and powder this.
- Add salt, 1½ tbsp vepudu karam and coconut. Fry till you get a nice aroma for about 3 minutes. Then add peanuts and fry for another 2 mins.
- Serve beerakaya fry with rice, sambar or rasam
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes