Beerakaya curry or Beerakaya fry – I have compiled all andhra beerakaya recipes on this post.
This vegetable is known as ridge gourd in english, heerekayi in kannada, peerangai in tamil and turai in hindi. It’s well-known for the health benefits it provides, high in fiber, vitamins and is said to keep the sugar levels in control when consumed regularly. It aids in good digestive system and is easily digestible even in babies.
Easy delicious curry made with ridge gourd and tomatoes. It goes good with rice, chapathi or phulka.
beerakaya fry recipe
sharing a simple south Indian ridge gourd recipe that is called as vepudu in telugu. Always choose tender and juicy gourd, it tastes great in whatever way you cook. Coconut and vepudu karam are the two taste enhancers I prefer.
If you have never tried vepudu karam from my blog, do try it. It is a mix of sesame seeds, roasted dals, coconut and other simple ingredients. It adds a good aroma and taste to the everyday simple vegetable stir fry. For those who would like to try with an alternate to vepudu karam, i suggest flax seeds spice powder or palli podi.But the right taste comes from the vepudu karam.
beerakaya fry goes well with rice or even with chapathi too, since this recipe yields a moist dry curry. If you have young fussy kids, do use roasted peanuts and coconut, most kids will love them. This makes a very good side dish for the lunch box to accompany roti or chapathi
beerakaya fry, beerakaya vepudu recipe (ridge gourd stir fry) below
Beerakaya curry | Beerakaya fry | Andhra beerakaya recipes
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 250 grams ridge gourd / beerakaya
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 ½ tsp chana dal and urad dal each
- 1 garlic clove crushed (optional)
- 1 red chili broken
- salt as needed
- 1 1/2 to 2 tbsps vepudu karam
- 1 to 2 tbsps coconut Grated, fresh , (you can skip if using vepudu karam)
- 1 tbsp peanuts Roasted and skinned , (optional)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin
- Oil as needed
- 1 Pinch hing
How to make the recipe
- Wash the gourd under running water, brush it well since we are using the skin too. wash well. Devein and chop to bite sized pieces
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard cumin, dals, and fry till the dals turn golden
- Add curry leaves, red chili and garlic, fry till the curry leaves turn crisp. Sprinkle hing
- Add gourd, sprinkle turmeric and fry for about 2 to 3 minutes stirring.
- Reduce the flame to low to medium and fry till the gourd is cooked completely. If your gourd is not tender and juicy. You can sprinkle water, cover and cook.
- Add salt, vepudu karam and coconut.Fry till you get a nice aroma for about 3 minutes. Add peanuts and fry for another 2 mins.
- Serve with rice, sambar or rasam