Fish fingers recipe. Learn how to make fish fingers at home. Fish fingers are a popular crisp fried appetizer that is popular in the restaurants. This recipe will help you to make the best fish fingers that are crusty and delicious. I have shared grilled and the fried versions in this post.
These are usually served with a garlic mayo dip but can also be served with any sauce or as a side in a meal.
This is my easy go to recipe for a fish starter. It is super easy to make and we most often serve it for our dinner as a side with south Indian rasam rice & some veggie stir fry.
This recipe is roughly adapted from my kfc fried chicken recipe. This recipe can be used to make deep fried or grilled fish fingers. Both turn out very good.
Any large variety of fish is suitable to prepare this including salmon. There can be no better way to enjoy salmon than to grill it. So this time during the weekend I made these grilled fish fingers with the salmon.
I never fry salmon so I went ahead grilling it in the oven.
The grilled version is easier than the fried version & it needs no sauce, no flour, no oil and you can also skip the egg. But if frying then I coat the fish in egg marinade and then coat the pieces in bread crumbs.
If you do not have bread crumbs then you can also use poha or flattened rice. Just powder them coarsely in a dry grinder and use it in place of bread crumbs.
These turn out to be crusty when deep fried and when baked remain so for about 15 mins. They are best when served immediately.
Fish fingers recipe
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs or powdered poha
- Oil as needed
- 250 grams fish fillet
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste or ginger and garlic powders
- ½ tsp red chili powder or paprika (skip if spice powder already has it)
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Salt to taste
- ¾ tbsp lemon juice
- ¾ tsp garam masala powder or any spice powder
- 1 tbsp mint leaves , finely chopped or any fresh or dried herbs
- 1 egg (for deep frying, skip for grilling)
Preparation for fish fingers
- Add ginger garlic, red chili powder, pepper, salt, lemon juice, garam masala and mint to a mixing bowl.
- Mix all of them and taste this. Add more salt if needed.
- Add an egg to this and whisk with a fork. Set this aside.
- Rinse the fish well and remove the skin if possible. Pat them dry.
- Cut finger size strips. Do not make thin strips.
- Add the fish and marinate it well.
- Place each fish piece over the bread crumbs and coat them well.
- Set aside for 2 to 3 mins.
How to make fish fingers
- For grilling: Preheat oven at 180 C. Prepare a tray by greasing or lining with a baking sheet.
- Place the fish pieces on the prepared tray. Bake them for 15 to 20 mins.
- The last 5 mins I put the oven to 150 C. This gives a better crust. Once cooked, the oil begins to ooze out slightly from the fish, this is when I get the fish out of the oven.
- For deep frying: Pour oil in a deep pan and heat it.
- Test if the oil is hot enough by dropping a small piece of bread, it must come up slowly without browning.
- Then you can slide in few fish fingers to the hot oil and fry until golden and crisp.
- Enjoy as a starter or as a snack with your favorite sauce or a cup of masala tea.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes