Garlic chicken recipe Indian style, Learn how to make garlic chicken in 20 minutes – This Indian style garlic chicken has been one of the favorites at home. Hot, spicy, flavorful & absolutely delicious – all without deep frying the chicken. This garlic chicken goes well with plain rice – rasam, Fried rice and Hakka noodles. However you can also have this with chilli garlic noodles or chilli garlic fried rice and you may also save sometime since the noodles & fried rice I mentioned also use the same spice base.
My new found trick to tenderize the chicken which I learnt from my chicken majestic, works well for this recipe too. I soaked the chicken strips overnight in buttermilk along with salt and pepper.
I was surprised at this soft, tasty and tender chicken, all without deep frying and it is egg free too. I am yet to try baking this. This is not any restaurant style chicken starter but it tastes awesome and is ideal for a home preparation. It is one of our favorites during the monsoon and winters.
To make the spice paste, you can tweak it a bit to suit your taste. For me this turns out perfect.
Note for those who cannot blend and make a paste: mix red chili powder, chopped and crushed garlic, vinegar, sugar, salt and 1 tbsp. water. Use this paste for marinating.
Find garlic chicken recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 300 grams chicken strips or boneless cubes
- 4 tbsp Yogurt / dahi / curd (do not use sour yogurt)
- Salt very little
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 onions chopped finely
Ingredients for Chili garlic sauce
- 5 red chilies or 3/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 5 garlic cloves crushed
- ¾ tbsp Vinegar
- ¼ tsp sugar (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 15 to 30 ml Water (lesser, better) to make a paste
- Coriander leaves few
- Onion wedges or rings
How to make the recipe
- Mix yogurt, salt and pepper with ½ to ¾ cup water. Beat well and set aside.
- Wash chicken and soak it in the above prepared butter milk for 2 hours to overnight in the refrigerator. Soaking for at least 6 hours is recommended to get soft chicken.
- Blend and Make a paste of the ingredients mentioned for chili garlic sauce.
- Drain up the buttermilk and add the prepared sauce. Mix well and leave it for 5 minutes. If you want to prepare it at a later time, you can put it back in the refrigerator.
Making garlic chicken
- Heat a pan with oil, add cumin and curry leaves, sauté till the cumin begins to splutter.
- Transfer the onions and fry till golden.
- Add the chicken and fry on a high heat for 2 to 3 mins. When you see the chicken turning white, cover it with a lid and lower the heat and cook till the chicken turns tender. This barely takes 5 mins if you are using strips
- Remove the lid and fry till the moisture evaporates and the sauce begins to cling to the chicken. The longer it is roasted, the sauce becomes more aromatic and tastier but the chicken tends to lose its tenderness. So take off from the heat when it is of your liking. Take care not to burn, garlic burns faster.
- Serve garlic chicken hot or warm.