Instant pot quinoa – Step by step photo guide to make perfect & fluffy quinoa in your instant pot each time. Fluffy cooked quinoa can be served with any dal, curries, yogurt or even include in salads.
Quinoa is a naturally gluten free seed that is consumed just like any other grain. It is packed with high protein, fiber, antioxidants & vital minerals. If you are new to this super food, do include it in your diet & experience the health benefits.
Cooking quinoa is one of the easiest as it doesn’t take much time. Ever since I moved from a traditional cooker to the instant pot, we have been eating more of quinoa.
In this post I have shared 2 methods to cook fluffy quinoa in your instant pot.
1. Pot-in-pot Method
2. Direct instant pot method
Most times I prefer the pot-in-pot method as it gives me the flexibility to cook multiple foods at one time. Sometimes I cook frozen corn, carrots & peas along with quinoa.
But when cooking large amounts of quinoa, cooking directly in the pot is much better as it avoids the food getting mushy.
1. Add the quinoa to a large bowl. Pour water and rub them with both your hands. This helps to get rid of the saponins.
2. Drain the water to a colander and then rinse them under running water. You may skip rinsing if using the pre-rinsed quinoa. But I personally prefer to rinse even if they are pre-rinsed.
3. Next drain the water completely.
How to cook quinoa in instant pot
4. I added 1 tsp oil to the inner pot. This is optional however I find a difference in the texture. It is great this way if you want to use the quinoa for salads.
5. Add the drained quinoa and toast for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Then pour the water. You can just skip toasting and also just add quinoa and pour water.
You can also add salt if you prefer. I do not use any.
6. Secure the lid of the instant pot and set the steam release handle to sealing position.
7. Press the pressure cook button and set the timing to 1 minute.
The instant pot takes some time to build up pressure. So it may take a few minutes.
8. When done wait for the pressure to release manually. Fluff up with a fork.
Serve instant pot quinoa with curries, dal or yogurt. You can also squeeze in some lemon juice and add fine chopped herbs.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1¼ cup water or broth
- Add 1 cup quinoa to a pot and pour water. Rub the quinoa very well with your hands and drain them a colander.
- Repeat rubbing the quinoa in the colander and rinse under running water to get rid of the saponins.
- This prevents quinoa from turning bitter. Drain the water completely from the quinoa.
How to cook quinoa in instant pot
- Add the quinoa & 1¼ cup water to the inner pot of the instant pot.
- Secure the lid of the instant pot. Set the steam release handle to sealing.
- Press the pressure cook button (high pressure) and set the timer to 1 minute.
- The instant pot takes some time to build pressure and cook. It may take about 10 to 15 mins for the quinoa to be ready.
- When the pressure releases naturally, open the lid and fluff up the quinoa with a fork.
For pot-in-pot method
- Add quinoa and water to a bowl. Pour 2 cups water to the inner pot of your instant pot.
- Place the bowl over the trivet and cover the bowl. Follow the same instructions for instant pot settings.
- Serve instant pot quinoa with curries, dal or use it to make salads.
- You can also add a tsp of oil or butter to the pot first and then toast the quinoa for 30 to 60 seconds.
- You may skip rinsing the quinoa if using pre-rinsed.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes