Bhindi ki sabji recipe – Simple ladies finger curry that is easy to prepare and is healthy as well. This dish can be served with plain rice, roti or even as a side with lemon rice, ghee rice or Jeera rice. It also goes well in the lunch box. Since it is a dry curry it can also be used as a filling to make chapati or roti rolls.
Tips to make a good bhindi ki sabji
- Always choose young bhindi as they are less slimy. So they cook faster and taste good.
- Prepare them within a day or two after buying them from the market. They continue to age even though refrigerated.
- Avoid buying bhindi with dark spots on them as they indicate they are aged. These take longer to cook and don’t taste good.
- Avoid over stirring them in the pan. If they are too slimy, add in a tbsp of lemon juice to get rid of it.
For health benefits, do not overcook ladies finger or until they turn too soft. Just cook until the stickiness goes away.
Bhindi ki sabji recipe
Bhindi ki sabji | How to make bhindi sabzi
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients to make bhindi ki sabji
- 300 grams okra (or bhindi – ladies finger)
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin (or jeera)
- 1 tbsp garlic (or lehsun) (chopped, optional)
- 1 large onion (sliced, about ¾ cup sliced)
- 1 green chili (slit or chopped)
- salt as needed
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala (or 1 tbsp sambar powder
- 2 pinches turmeric (or haldi)
- 1 large tomato (chopped, about ½ cup)
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (or curry leaves)
- 2 tbsps coriander leaves (chopped, optional)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for bhindi ki sabji
- Wash bhindi under running water,. Drain them completely. Wipe them dry with a clean cloth or kitchen tissues. Cut off the ends. Cut them to half inch pieces.
- Then slice onions. Chop garlic, tomatoes and green chili.
How to make bhindi ki sabji
- Pour oil to a pan and heat it. Add in cumin and garlic. Saute garlic just for 30 seconds. Do not brown them.
- Next add in onions and fry until slightly golden. Do not brown them.
- Add chopped bhindi. Mix and fry on a medium flame until the stickiness goes off. Keep stirring and fry. By the end of this step bhindi is half cooked.
- Next sprinkle salt, turmeric, red chili powder and garam masala as well. Mix and fry just for a minute or two.
- Add in tomatoes. Mix well and fry for 2 mins. Cover and cook bhindi ki sabji on a low flame.
- When the tomatoes turn soft and mushy, check the salt and spice. If needed add more of them. Add kasuri methi or curry leaves.
- Fry for a few minutes till the raw smell of tomatoes goes away. You can cook the bhindi to your liking partially cooked or fully cooked.
- Serve bhindi ki sabji with plain rice or chapati.
1. Wash ladies finger under runny water. I spray vinegar and leave them for about 20 mins. Wash them under running water.
2. Drain them to a colander and dry them. Wipe off with kitchen tissues or cloth. They must not be moist or wet.
3. Chop them to half inch pieces. Then slice onions. Chop tomatoes and green chili. You can deseed the tomatoes if you don’t like them.
4. Heat a pan with oil. Add cumin and garlic. Saute just for 30 mins without browning the garlic.
How to make bhindi ki sabji
5. Next add in the sliced onions and green chilies.
6. Keep strirring and fry them until lightly golden.
Frying ladies finger
7. Add in chopped bhindi.
8. Fry them until they are half cooked yet crunchy. But they should not be sticky anymore.
9. While frying stir often but don’t overdo. Scrape off the bottom gently if it begins to burn. You can also add a tsp of oil to prevent burning.
10. Sprinkle salt.
11. Next sprinkle turmeric, red chili powder and garam masala. If you do not like masala in this, just add good sambar powder.
12. Saute for 2 mins.
13. Add tomatoes.
14. Again fry the ladies finger for 2 mins.
15. Cover and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
16. Check the salt and spice. If needed add more salt. Then add kasuri methi or curry leaves. Fry for another 2 to 3 mins till the raw smell of tomatoes goes away.
17. If you prefer fully cooked bhindi, then keep mixing and cook until soft. We eat semi cooked bhindi so I turn off early. .
Serve bhindi ki sabji with rice or chapati.