Muslim biryani recipe made in South Indian style – a generalized recipe that one can use to prepare a delicious, flavorful and simple meat biryani. This biryani is made during andhra and tamil muslim weddings and family get together. Fairly easy to make even for a crowd due to its simplicity.
You can also check these other recipes of pakki mutton biryani recipe and hyderabadi mutton dum biryani on the blog. The recipe shared in this post is good for beginners and for those who do not have much time to go through an elaborate process of making dum biryani.
To make this easy biryani recipe, you don’t need any readymade biryani masala powder, since I am also sharing how to make an instant biryani masala powder which can be made in just 2 minutes. This biryani can be made in a pressure cooker or an oven. Both tips mentioned at the end of the post in notes.
To prepare this muslim biryani, I have used chicken, you can substitute it to make mutton or egg biryani too. This recipe is very different from the pakki dum biryani and hyderabadi chicken dum biryani that is from the Mughal cuisine.Though the ingredients that go towards the making these dishes are same, the taste is entirely different since the cooking methods are different.
Preparation for muslim biryani
1. Slice onions and chop tomatoes, set them aside separately. Soak rice in water for atleast 20 minutes.
2. Marinate chicken or mutton with little lemon juice or curd, salt and turmeric. Set this aside to tenderize. If your mutton is not tender you can use meat tenderizer or set aside for about 1 hour to overnight.
3. Add pepper corn, cinnamon stick, cloves, nutmeg, fennel seeds, stone flower and cardamoms to a blender and make a fine powder. Keep this aside in a plate.
4. To the same jar, add onions, ginger, garlic, mint and coriander leaves, make a fine paste.
How to make muslim biryani
5. Heat a heavy bottom utensil, add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, mace, black and green cardamons, shahi jeera.
6. When they begin to splutter, add the mint and coriander paste. Fry till the paste begins to smell nice. It takes around 2 to 3 minutes
7. Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Fry or cover and cook till the tomatoes turn fully mushy.
8. Add chicken or mutton and fry on low flame for 3 to 5 minutes.
9. Add masala powder from step 3, and red chili powder. Fry for about 3 minutes on a low flame without burning.
10. Add curd and stir well.
11. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes for the chicken. If using mutton cook till soft and tender, it doesn’t get cooked well with rice later. you can even pressure cook mutton for 1 to 2 whistles at this stage. The oil begins to separate and the gravy thickens. We do not want watery gravy.
Cooking muslim biryani
12. Pour 3 ¼ cups water and add salt, we have already marinated the chicken with salt and used salt to cook tomatoes, so use less salt.
13. Bring the water to a rapid boil. While the water boils, drain off the rice to a colander. Make sure there is no water left in rice
14. Cook till the rice is almost cooked with very less water left and the rice must be 75 percent cooked. If you feel the rice is undercooked, sprinkle some hot water over the rice and stir. However you must not exceed using 3 ½ cups water on the whole.
15. Add kewra or rose water. Stir gently and cover the lid and put on dum for about 5 to 7 minutes.
16. For the dum process, if you have an induction stove, you could switch it to the minimum. If on gas stove, heat an old dosa tawa, place the biryani utensil on the tawa and dum it for about 5 to 7 minutes. Consider the time when the tawa becomes hot. Do not open for atleast 10 to 15 minutes after you switch off the stove. When still hot, fluff up the rice with a fork.You can even dum this in oven for about 15 to 25 minutes at 180 c preheated oven.
Muslim biryani recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 nutmeg Very small piece/ jaiphal
- 4 green cardamoms / elaichi
- ¼ to ½ tsp Pepper corn / kali mirch
- 5 cloves / laung
- 1 cinnamon stick Small / dalchini
- ½ tsp fennel seeds / saunf
- ½ tsp stone flower / kalapasi/ dagad phool
To make a fine paste
- 12 to 15 mint leaves / pudina
- 12 to 15 stems coriander leaves , small / daniya patta
- 1 ½ inches ginger / adrak
- 3 pods garlic large , or 6 to 8 small/ lehsun
- 2 to 3 green chilies / hari mirch
- 1 onion large , chopped
- 1 bay leaf / tej patta
- 1 black cardamom small / badi elaichi
- 4 green cardamoms / choti elaichi
- 4 cloves / laung
- 1 Cinnamon stick / dalchini
- 1 Star anise / chakra phool
- 2 strands mace / javitri
- ¼ to ½ tsp shahi jeera
- ½ kg chicken or tender mutton
- 2 cups basmathi rice , aged
- 3 ¼ to 3 ½ cups water
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tomato medium
- 1/2 cup curd / yogurt / dahi
- 1 tsp rose water or kewra
Preparation for muslim biryani
- Soak rice for at least 20 mins.
- Wash chicken or mutton under running water, drain off the water completely and marinate with little curd or lemon juice, salt and turmeric. Rub the meat with the marination for about 5 minutes keep this aside.
- Chop tomatoes, slice onions, keep them aside for later use.
- Pluck the mint and coriander leaves and wash in lot of water, set them to drain.
- Powder all the ingredients mentioned under “To powder” in a blender. Transfer this to a plate and keep it for later use.
- Make a paste of the green chilies, onions, mint, coriander leaves, ginger and garlic.
Cooking muslim biryani
- Heat a heavy bottom pan, add spices mentioned under “To temper”. Let them crackle.
- Add the onion mint paste to the pan and fry for about 2 to 3 minutes
- Add tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Cook or fry till the tomatoes turn soft. If needed you can cover the pot and make the tomatoes soft.
- Add chicken or mutton and fry on a low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add powdered masala and red chili powder and fry till it becomes fragrant
- Pour curd and mix. Cook until the meat turns tender, if mutton you can pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles till it turns tender and soft. Cook till the oil begins to separate and the gravy thickens.
Water to cook muslim biryani
- Pour 3 ¼ cups water and add salt
- When the water begins to boil rapidly, drain off the water from the rice completely otherwise the rice turns mushy. Add the rice to the water and cook till it is 75% cooked. If the water is not sufficient, you can sprinkle hot water and stir.
- Drizzle kewra or rose water.Cover the pot with a tight lid .Place the biryani utensil on a hot tawa and dum it for about 5 to 7 minutes. Switch off the stove.
- Serve muslim biryani with onion raita and a salan.
You can increase the quantity of oil by another one to 2 tsps for added taste
For oven method: place the rice for dum in the preheated oven at 180 c for 15 to 25 minutes
For the pressure cooker method: close the cooker lid when the rice is cooked 75% and lower the stove flame to minimum and cook for 5 minutes, don’t let the cooker whistle
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes