Peda recipe or doodh peda recipe with step by step pictures – milk peda is one of the traditional Indian Sweets that is prepared during festive occasions or celebrations. Peda is prepared using sugar and milk solids known as khoa / khoya or mawa.
Milk solids is one of the key ingredient in many Indian desserts. To make this, milk is reduced for a long time to get the solids.
Since it is tedious to make at home most people would buy it from the Indian stores.
Traditionally milk peda was made by simmering milk in a large wide utensils for several hours until all the liquid evaporates and only solids are left. Then sugar & cardamom powder were added to it to sweeten and flavor up.
In the modern days, most people skip this part of condensing the milk and use store bought alternates like khoya or milk powder.
Milk peda recipe shared here is a quick version using khoya without milk powder. In the past I made doodh peda with condensed milk and milk powder several times and ended up with an overly sweetened peda.
This milk peda recipe was born out of few trials to bring down the sweetness to the right level. These taste great since they are made of only milk and milk solids alone and no milk powder is used.
If you have access to khoya, do try this delicious doodh peda for Diwali, certainly they make a great diwali treat.
With the same mixture, you can even make chocolate peda and treat your kids. just add cocoa when the mixture is done and knead it well.
This recipe can also be tweaked and you can avoid using condensed milk and use sugar alone. But I felt condensed milk lends a great flavor and texture to the peda.
Doodh peda recipe
Peda recipe | How to make milk peda or doodh peda recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for peda
- 1 ½ cups khoya (about 180 to 200 grams) crumbled or grated mawa (refer notes)
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder or elaichi powder
- 1 tsp ghee
- 6 to 7 tbsp sugar + 2 tbsp milk or ½ tin condensed milk (½ of 392 grams tin)
- 1 tbsp pistachios chopped for garnish
- 1 pinch saffron strands (soaked in milk optional)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for peda
- Bring khoya to room temperature. Crumble or grate it and then measure.
- Add khoya to a non-stick pan. Next add sugar and milk or condensed milk along with cardamom powder and saffron.
How to make peda
- Mix and begin to cook on a medium flame. The mixture melts and turns gooey.
- Let it cook till the mixture thickens and becomes a mass. Overcooking could make it dry. Switch off and cool.
- The mixture looks smooth on its own, so don’t have to knead it.
- Grease your palms and make 12 balls. Next flatten them slightly.
- Tuck the chopped pistachios in the center.
- For making the chocolate peda, add 1 to 1 ½ tsps. Cocoa to the cooked mixture and knead well until blended.
- Divide the mixture to 12 equal sized balls and roll them to smooth balls. slightly flatten.
- Refrigerate peda and use.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
For those who wish to use the full 392 grams tin, use 3 cups crumbled khoya. one cup equals 240 ml
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
How to make doodh peda recipe
1. Defrost khoya either in microwave or refrigerator or leave it at room temperature for about 30 minutes. If you are using frozen khoya. Do not begin to heat up very cold one, sometimes this lends a bitter taste. Soak saffron in 2 tbsps. hot milk. I did not use it.
2. Crumble khoya and add it to a pan. Add sugar and milk or condensed milk. Also add in cardamom and saffron milk if using. Begin to cook on a medium flame.
3. Cook the mixture stirring constsntly. It melts and turns gooey.
4. Next cook till the mixture thickens, while stirring constantly and becomes a mass. Turn off the heat.
5. When cooled the mixture looks smooth and slightly darker in color. It thickens as well.
6. Grease your palms, take small portions and make balls, slightly flatten and dent in the center. Tuck the chopped pistachios.I had set aside a part of this mixture and added cocoa. Kneaded well and made some chocolate peda.
Refrigerate peda and use.