Peda recipe or doodh peda recipe with step by step pictures – milk peda is one of the traditional Indian Sweets that is prepared during festive occasions or celebrations. Peda is prepared using sugar and khoa / khoya or mawa, that’s made by condensing milk for a long time.
The milk peda recipe shared here is a quick version using condensed milk and khoya without milk powder. In the past I made doodh peda with condensed milk and milk powder several times and ended up with an overly sweetened peda.
This milk peda recipe was born out of few trials to bring down the sweetness to the right level. These taste great since they are made of only milk and milk solids alone and no milk powder is used.
If you have access to khoya, do try this delicious doodh peda for Diwali, certainly they make a great diwali treat. With the same mixture, you can even make chocolate peda and treat your kids , just add cocoa when the mixture is done and knead it well.
This recipe can also be tweaked and you can avoid using condensed milk and use sugar alone. But I felt condensed milk lends a great flavor and texture to the peda.
Doodh peda recipe
Peda recipe | How to make milk peda or doodh peda recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for peda
- ½ tin condensed milk (½ of 392 grams tin) milkmaid
- 1 ½ cups khoya crumbled or mawa (refer notes)
- 1 pinch cardamom powder or elaichi powder
- 1 pinch saffron strands (soaked in milk optional)
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 tbsp pistachios chopped for garnish
How to make the recipe
Preparation for peda
Bring khoya to room temperature. Crumble and then measure.
Add condensed milk, cardamom powder and khoya to a non-stick pan. If using saffron milk , add it now.
How to make peda
- Mix and begin to cook on a medium flame.
- Let it cook till the mixture thickens and becomes a mass. Overcooking could make it dry. Switch off and cool.
The mixture looks smooth on its own, so don’t have to knead it.
Grease your palms and make 12 balls. Next flatten them slightly.
Tuck the chopped pistachios in the center.
- For making the chocolate peda, add 1 to 1 ½ tsps. Cocoa to the cooked mixture and knead well until blended.
Divide the mixture to 12 equal sized balls and roll them to smooth balls. slightly flatten.
Refrigerate peda and use.
Do not heat up khoya when it is very cold, defrost it in microwave or refrigerator or leave it at room temperature for a while.
For those who wish to use the full 392 grams tin, use 3 cups crumbled khoya. one cup equals 240 ml
How to make doodh peda recipe
1. Defrost khoya either in microwave or refrigerator or leave it at room temperature for about 30 minutes, if you are using frozen khoya. Do not begin to heat up very cold one , sometimes this lends a bitter taste. soak saffron in 2 tbsps. hot milk. I did not use it.
2. Crumble khoya and add it to a pan along with condensed milk, cardamom and or saffron milk if using.Begin to cook on a medium flame
3. constantly stirring, cook the mixture. It melts.
4. Cook till the mixture thickens, while stirring constantly and becomes a mass. off the heat.
5. when cooled the mixture looks smooth and slightly darker in color. It thickens as well.
6. Grease your palms, take small portions and make balls, slightly flatten and dent in the center. Tuck the chopped pistachios.I had set aside a part of this mixture and added cocoa. Kneaded well and made some chocolate peda.
Refrigerate peda and use.