Orange juice recipe – How to make orange juice in a blender or juicer. Homemade fruit juices are healthy as they are undiluted, fresh and made without any additives. Regular consumption of oranges builds immunity and improves the over all health. High vitamin C in orange juice has proved to be an immunity booster in kids and grown ups alike.
Health benefits of orange juice – Apart from building immunity, oranges also help in balancing the hormones, stimulates the production of collagen to improve the health of skin. Pure orange juice may also help in balancing the HDL and LDL by increasing HDL and reducing the LDL.
Similar to the other citrus fruits, oranges are acidic but alkalize the body after the juice has been metabolized. However too much of orange juice is not good for people suffering from ulcers, digestive problems & diabetes.
Homemade pure orange juice is delicious, fresh and cannot be compared with any bottled juice. It is hard to get my kids to eat oranges regularly, so we prefer juicing them 3 times a week. Rest of the days we add them to smoothies along with banana or apples. Oranges can also be used to make mix fruit juice.
Always choose sweet tasting oranges, sour ones are good for making orange squash and not for fresh juice.
Fresh orange juice can be made in a blender, hand held or electric orange juicer, masticating juicer or a cold press juicer. For years I used a electric orange juicer which is fairly easy to extract the pulpy juice as well to clean up. If you do not have one you can make it in a blender the way I shared in this post.
Orange juice recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 8 to 10 oranges large
- 1/8 tsp pink salt or kosher salt
- 1 inch ginger piece, ( can use up to 5 grams per serving)
- 8 to 10 mint leaves or holy basil leaves or wheatgrass
- 1 tbsp honey (organic)
How to make the recipe
How to make orange juice
- Wash and peel oranges.
- Remove the white membrane and cut each orange to 2.
- Remove the seeds with the help of a fork.
- Add them to a blender jar or juicer chute.
- If using ginger, peel the skin and rinse well.
- If using herbs, spray some vinegar and salt. Set aside for some time and rinse them a few times in ample amount of water.
- Freeze your oranges for an hour if you prefer cold juice.
- Add all of them to a juicer or blender jar or chute and run the machine.
- If making in a blender pass it through a filter and press down with a spoon.
- Stir in honey if desired. Serve fresh orange juice immediately.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
1. Wash oranges well and peel the rind.
2. Remove the white membrane as this may turn the juice bitter.
3. You will have to cut them to 2 halves and remove the seeds. If you prefer cold juice, freeze your oranges for about an hour before juicing them. Do not add ice cubes to the juice it dilutes the juice and reduces the nutrition.
How to make orange juice
4. Add them to a blender jar or the juicer chute. Run the machine. Pass the juice through a filter or sieve. You can also add a small piece of ginger if you live in a cold place. We always add little mineral salt and a small piece of ginger to the orange juice since the cold pressed juice is very cooling to the body.
Other ingredients you can try with are tulsi/ holy basil leaves or mint leaves which helps to improve the immunity. If you are into alkaline diet, you may also squeeze in a lemon.
Serve orange juice immediately.