This Pineapple Milkshake is healthy, delicious and creamy, loaded with protein and essential vitamins. This makes for a great breakfast or a mid-morning drink!! Pineapple Milkshake is simply pineapple chunks blended together with milk or milk products like heavy cream, dry milk or ice cream. There are numerous ways a Pineapple Shake is made.
In restaurants and juice bars you will see several kinds of Pineapple Milkshakes customized to individual choice. Various ingredients like nuts, plant based dairy alternatives, flavorings & protein powders are also used.
But a simplest & delicious Pineapple Shake can be made at home with just 3 ingredients. No additives, super fresh, delicious, creamy and above all healthy!!
Ancient Ayurvedic wisdom teaches us not to consume milk and fruits together as it can disrupt healthy digestive system. Though there is no evidence, at home we don’t consume them together. So I make most of our milkshakes with homemade vegan milk.
However you can also make it with regular milk if you prefer. But make sure you use chilled milk and chilled pineapple to avoid the pineapple shake from splitting/ curdling.
I have made this without ice cream. To make the juice bar style shake, use vanilla or coconut ice cream.
To make our Pineapple Milkshake I simply soak nuts for sometime and then blend them until smooth to make vegan milk. Then I add pineapple chunks and blend until smooth. You can also use coconut milk instead of nuts.
We personally do not prefer using pineapple core in this shake as it alters the taste completely. I separate the core and use it for juicing the next day.
How to make Pineapple Milkshake (Stepwise photos)
1. Use pineapple that has ripen well and is ready for consumption. I have the details on choosing perfect pineapples & preparing them on my pineapple juice post. Good tasting & flavorful pineapple is very essential for a shake. Do not use a sour fruit.
2. Peel the fruit and remove the eyes deep inside.
3. Quarter them and remove the core. Use them later for juicing. Chop the pineapple to cubes & chill them.
4. Add soaked 20 to 25 cashews or almonds. Soak cashews for 15 mins in warm water or almonds for 3 to 4 hours. Peel the almonds. Pour ¼ to ½ cup water or coconut milk. Do not add lots of liquid at one time unless you are using a high speed blender.
5. Blend until really smooth. We don’t want any grits in the shake.
6. Then add 2 cups pineapple cubes, 1 tsp vanilla extract or pineapple extract & 3 tablespoons sugar.
7. Pour more water or coconut milk. I added another 1 cup here. If you want you can also add 4 scoops of ice cream here.
8. Blend to a smooth shake. If it is too thick you may add more liquid.
Pour pineapple shake to glasses and serve them.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 2 cups pineapple chopped & chilled
- 1¼ cup chilled milk (or 20 cashews or almonds)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or any sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or pineapple extract or ½ tsp cardamom powder) (optional)
- 4 scoops ice cream (vanilla or coconut ice cream)
- Peel the pineapple length wise to remove the skin. Remove the eyes deep and cut the fruit to 2 parts. Then to quarters. Remove the core and set aside to use it for juicing. Chop the pineapple to cubes. Do not use the core in your milkshake.
- To make the vegan milkshake, soak cashews in warm water for 15 to 20 minutes. If using almonds soak them for 3 to 4 hours in water and peel the skin. Add them to a blender along with ¼ water and blend as smooth as possible.
- Add pineapple chunks to the blender along with sugar, vanilla or pineapple extract and 1 cup more water. Blend until creamy and frothy. Add more water if desired.
To make Pineapple Ice Cream Shake
- Add the pineapple chunks, chilled milk and ice cream to a blender jar.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. If need add more milk to adjust the consistency.
- Pour to serving glass and enjoy.
- I avoid using pineapple core in my milkshake. Core is better used for juicing.
- Use any of your preferred flavorings like cinnamon, vanilla etc.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
Pineapple shake recipe was first published in December 2014. Updated and Republished in February 2021.
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills. More about me
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes