Praline recipe – Praline is a confectionery that is widely used as toppings on Ice cream, cakes and pastries. It mainly consists of sugar, nuts and butter or cream. There are a few different kinds of pralines made and used across the world. Crunchy & soft creamy chocolate coated pralines are some of the most popular.
Kids’ have a school break for 10 days. So I plan to make few desserts. Praline was the first thing I choose to make as it would be useful for the dessert toppings.
I am sharing the recipe of crunchy praline that is made by grinding sugar coated nuts. The recipe needs just 3 ingredients – refined sugar, almonds and butter. You can replace almonds with any of your favorite nuts.
Making praline at home is simple and easy. It can be made just under 20 mins. This recipe makes little over a cup. You can store in a glass jar and use for a couple of months.
This post will help you to make perfect praline that doesn’t taste bitter, doesn’t crystallize and doesn’t turn soft when cooled down.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup refined sugar
- ¼ cup almonds or cashews or any nuts
- 1 tbsp butter
How to make the recipe
- Roughly chop the nuts of your choice. Set them aside. Grease a plate with butter or keep a parchment paper ready.
- Add sugar to a heavy bottom pan.
- Begin to melt on a medium flame.
- Avoid stirring the sugar. Swirl the pan as needed for even distribution.
- When the sugar begins to melt, gently swirl the pan as needed for the sugar to melt evenly.
- You can use a spoon to push the sugar stuck towards the edges inside.
- Reduce the flame to the lowest. Keep a tbsp of butter ready.
- When the sugar melts completely and begins to smoke, take off the pan from the heat. Do not allow the sugar to smoke up for longer
- Immediately add butter and mix well.
- The mixture froths up and reduces.
- Add the chopped nuts. Mix well.
- Pour this to the parchment paper or plate.
- Cool it completely. Remove the brittle and break it to small pieces.
- You can keep the brittle in a zip lock bag or cloth. Cover the brittle well.
- Using a rolling pan, crush it to a small pieces. You can add it to a blender and make a coarse powder.
- Store praline in a glass jar and use as needed to top your desserts.
2. Avoid non stick pans as it may get damaged.
3. It is unhealthy to use non stick pan for this purpose as it may emit fumes.
4. Use a heavy bottom steel pan.
How to make praline for desserts
1. Add sugar to a dry heavy bottom pan. Begin to melt it on a medium flame. Within seconds you will see the sugar begins to melt.
2. Do not use a spoon or ladle to stir the sugar. Instead swirl the pan when ever needed to spread it evenly. Be attentive and reduce the flame to lowest.
3. You can gently push inside the sugar stuck to the edges. Be ready with a tbsp of butter. As soon as you see the entire sugar has melted completely, it will begin to smoke up. Quickly take off the pan from the heat. Add the butter. Do not let it smoke for longer.
4. I placed the pan over a cork pad. Note that the mixture is no more on the heat. Mix well. The mixture will bubble up a lot.
5. Add chopped almonds.
6. Pour it to a greased plate or parchment paper. Cool this completely.
7. The entire mixture will cool and come out as a brittle. Break it to pieces.
8. You can transfer this to a zip lock bag or a clean cloth. Cover it and crush with a rolling pin to a coarse powder. I used my mixer jar to powder it. If using a mixer then break them to small pieces and use a large jar. Using a small jar may damage the lid as the pieces bounce up to it. Just pulse the mixer to get coarse praline. Do not run for longer as the praline will become fine powder.
9. I removed the large chunks and ran the blender once more.
10. Transfer this to a clean glass jar and store it in the fridge.
Top your ice cream, waffles, pancakes and cakes with a generous amount of praline.